Author Topic: Rocks in Cork Ireland  (Read 1826 times)

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rocks in Cork Ireland
« on: Friday 31 December 04 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea how to find my ancestors in Ireland.  Michael Rock married to Margaret was born around 1840 and according to family stories he came from Cork.  He had three sons John, Patrick and Michael and a daughter Margaret.  From the census results it sounds as though John came over to England first before 1877 (her married Alice Cunningham my great grandmother then in Bolton Lancshire) they all seem to have come over during the next decade.

My question is how do I start looking for them?

Frances in the Yukon
FB

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks in Cork Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 05 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When were the 3 sons born? If it was post 1864 you can search for them in the birth indexes? These are available at the GRO in Dublin and on film at your local family history centre. This would give you their parents and an address for further research. Any birth between 1864 and 1866 or so may be in the IGI database at familysearch.org

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kate, they were all born before 1864 (I think - there is a vagueness when they report their birth dates on England Census's).  I will try the GRO in Dublin, they aren't on the IGI database.  I recently found a second cousin who did some research in the 1980s and he promises to send me his research - there might be some clues in that since he was looking in a different time from a different direction.  Thank you for helping.
Frances :)
FB

Offline pauline10985

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 July 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ive recently been doing research of Rocks. I have a Michael Rocks that married a Margaret McParltlin/Mcpartland 1864 in Armagh Rc, both fathers of this marriage were Michael. Children found are James born 1867, Thomas born 12/3/1869, Patrick Joseph born 26/4/1871 Felix born 31/8/1874 and edward born 1877 all these childrens births were registered in Keady Armagh and the children were baptised in Ballymacnab R.C. Let me know if any of this information is of any use :-)