Author Topic: Ernest Seddon and William Cornwallis BATE  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Seddon and William Cornwallis BATE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Beth,

I think too that William was a Captain, but there don't seem to be links through to see the papers.  Does that not happen for officers/  I was able to see my own grandfather's papers which was a bit surreal as he died in 1926 when my father was only 9.

Beset wishes
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 07 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Was looking at the BC Cemetery Site and see that a William Seddon Bate is buried in Vernon. Since his death is not yet on the Vital Stats site it must have been within the past 20 years.

The BC Cemetery web site is:

http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/cemlist.html#E

BATE, Ernest Seddon
Vernon Municipal
Vernon, Pleasant Valley Road
Okanagan-Similkameen
V&DFHS-481

BATE, William Seddon
Vernon Municipal
Okanagan-Similkameen
V&DFHS-481

Two further graves in Vernon for Bate but unsure if they are yours. I can't find them on the Death Registration list. Margaret, Ernest's wife, should certainly be listed there if she died in BC since she married in 1905. The Margaret listed could be the wife of William Seddon Bate or of A.E. Bate, but her death is also not yet published on the Death Registration List. I include Albert Edward only because I found his grave in Vernon. May be a distant relative!!

BATE, A. E.
Vernon Municipal
Okanagan-Similkameen
V&DFHS-481

Vital Event Death Registration

Name:     Albert Edward Bate

Event Date:     1953 8 6 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Vernon

Reg. Number:    1953-09-008490
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13216
   GSU Microfilm Number: 2032875

BATE, Margaret Edborgh Wilson
Vernon Municipal
Okanagan-Similkameen
V&DFHS-48

Have also found the city directories of Vernon and see that Ernest was listed:

1909 Notary Public, Real Estate and Insurance, Barnard Avenue
1910 Insurance, Customs Broker and Insurance
1919 Fruit Growing
1921 Fruit Growing
1924 Fruit Growing

Beth

Ploughing through the Death Registrations I found a couple in Penticton which look like William's family.

Name:     Margaret Cornwallis Bate

Event Date:     1964 11 7 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Penticton

Reg. Number:    1964-09-014302
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13269
   GSU Microfilm Number: 2033722

Name:     Alfred B Cornwallis Bate

Event Date:     1938 10 30 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Penticton

Reg. Number:    1938-09-548432
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13163
   GSU Microfilm Number: 195319
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 07 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth

I am always glad when family names are used, it does help to identify likely candidates! 

William's wife was Margaret from the census and I did find a marriage for Ernest to a Margaret Lambert in 1905, so I'm guessing that both their wives had the same name.  Maybe that is why William's wife added the Cornwallis to her's.

I presume that the others you have found would be children and grandchildren of Ernest Seddon and William Cornwallis.  I shall keep the details on file and then when I am certain where they fit, add them to the tree.

Many thanks again
Regards
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 07 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Ellen,

I picked up 5 records at the library today. Unfortunately the birth of Alfred B C Bate was not available at the local library because of the 120 year rule which was recently put in place. However, the main library downtown will probably have it, since I understand the government has not called back the microfilms that were issued under the old rule. It may take a few weeks before I get to that library.
I will PM you about getting the five records to you.

John

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 November 07 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

More cemetery records, this time from Oliver, BC., where the Bates were filed as Cornwallis-Bate.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~okcemeteries/page16.html
Oliver Cemetery(continued)

CORNWALLIS-BATE A. Beauchamp 1938
CORNWALLIS-BATE Margaret 1964
CORNWALLIS-BATE W. 1935
CORNWALLIS-BATE Vincent 1938

I include the death registration of Vincent:

Name:     Vincent C Bate

Event Date:     1938 6 16 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Vernon

Reg. Number:    1938-09-544274
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13162
   GSU Microfilm Number: 1953195

Oliver was settled folowing WW1 by returning soldiers having land made available to them at reasonable prices.

www.oliver.ca/siteengine/ActivePage.asp?PageID=1

Provincial Government purchases 22,000 acres of land in the South Okanagan and proceeds to develop an irrigation system designed to convert some 8,000 acres of desert land, on each side of the Okanagan river, into viable agricultural land and make the land available, at a reasonable cost, to the returning soldiers from World War I.   The Premier of the Province at the time was "Honest John Oliver".   Hence, the origin of the name of the Town of Oliver.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Here is a book to show you where they lived.

Vernon and the Okanagan Valley, B.C
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=1053

Vernon and District Family History Society
http://www.vdfhs.com/index.htm

(found on above site)

Cemetery Inscriptions
http://www.vdfhs.com/vernon_b%20new.htm

Vernon City Directories
http://www.vdfhs.com/Vernon%20City%20Directories.htm

South Okanagan Genealogical Society
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bcsogs/sogs/

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janice - I shall look forward to investigating those when i get home from work
Ellen

Offline kidrollo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 February 10 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ellen. Just to avoid  any confusion I researched back through your messages and found the relevant subject matter . I realize that your request was made in November 07, so you may have found out everything you need ,to fill in the blanks. Anything else you can email me or contact me on this website.   Regards , Jim

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 February 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim 

Good to hear from you.  Welcome to Rootschat.  You will find that people on this site are incredibly helpful and friendly.

You probably read that I am working on my sister in law's family.  She was a Wilmot and her grandmother was Gertrude Isabelle Bate, daughter of William and Mary Bate.  She was sister to Ernest and William.  I would be interested to know who her Canadian relatives are so that I can  bring the tree more up to date.  I have a tree on Tribal pages at http://wilmot.tribalpages.com/  You will need to send me a PM with your e-mail or to get the pass word for the tribal pages site.

Look forward to hearing from you.  Best wishes, Ellen