Author Topic: Dudbrook Hostel Brentwood  (Read 4503 times)

Offline anglessaxonsjutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dudbrook Hostel Brentwood
« on: Monday 26 November 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have information about Dudbrook Hostel in Brentwood? I have a great uncle who was living there at the time of his death in 1960. I believe there was some accomodation built after the War in Brentwood to house people from East and West Ham. Was Dudbrook connected with this scheme?
Colbourn- West Ham, Mile End Old Town, Forest Gate, East Ham, Bennett- Wapping, Branch- Felixstowe/West Ham, Wheatley- St. Luke, Bromley-by-Bow, Matthews-Limehouse, Poplar, McNair- Barrow-in-Furness, Lacey-Kings Stanley, Groom(e)-Norfolk,Doncaster,Brighton, Heard-Devon, Sprawling-Coggeshall/Pattiswick

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dudbrook Hostel Brentwood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 07 22:59 GMT (UK) »
For current info about residential homes at Dudbrook go to www.stmichaelshomes.co.uk
I can't say that these are connected to the hostel you refer to but someone there may know.
In Brentwood there is a housing estate built by Newham Council called the East Ham estate. This was provided to accommodate people who couldn't be housed in East Ham - mainly because there was a long waiting list of people  bombed out of their East Ham homes by WW2. I don't think there is any connection between this and Dudbrook.
If you go the the Streetmap website and search for 'Eastham Crescent' that will take you to that estate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 07 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clincher,
Thanks for the info about Dudbrook. I've sent them an e-mail to see if they have any archive material from the 1960's.
Colbourn- West Ham, Mile End Old Town, Forest Gate, East Ham, Bennett- Wapping, Branch- Felixstowe/West Ham, Wheatley- St. Luke, Bromley-by-Bow, Matthews-Limehouse, Poplar, McNair- Barrow-in-Furness, Lacey-Kings Stanley, Groom(e)-Norfolk,Doncaster,Brighton, Heard-Devon, Sprawling-Coggeshall/Pattiswick

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
There's also Dudbrook Hall, Navestock, near Brentwood. This was the former home of the Waldegrave family. I'm unsure of its 20th century history, but I do recall that when I moved into the next village 20 years ago it was a retirement home (it still is). Whether it was like that in the 60s, I cannot say.

Google for it and you may find some information.

Phil
historyhouse.co.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 07 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information atbout Dudbrook Hall. I've e-mailed them and after a general response, waiting to hear more from them.