Author Topic: C19 adoption  (Read 2292 times)

Offline brianph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: C19 adoption
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 November 07 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry wrong year. It was on the 1891 census that Thomas John Phillips aged 15 is listed as a nephew. He is living with Williams Phillips b 1828 and his wife Martha b 1828. The source reference is RG12 4446 Folio 13 Page 21. However he is listed on both the 1881 and 1901 censuses as a son!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 November 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. My great grandfather was Thomas John Phillips b 1874 In the 1881 census his birthplace was given as Llanelly In the folowing two censuses it was given as Aberdare where the adoptive parents lived.

Have you got your information a little mixed up

If I am following the correct Thomas John

1881 p.o.b.Carm (i.e. Carmarthan)

1891 Cam Llanelly (i.e. Carmarthan Llanelly)

1901 Carm Llanelly (i.e. Carmarthen Llanelly)

His p.o.b. is not given as Aberdare Glam on any census??????

Why do you think he is related to Martha's side of the family??

His surname is Phillips - and William was b. Carmarthan

However Martha was b. Pembroke

Also on 1891 where he is listed as nephew, his age is given as 17 not 15

If you don't know who his parent/s were, why have you been able to discount the birth certs you have sent for????

On the mar qtr 1874 Llanelly birth cert you have sent for, who are the parents??????

We may be able to connect them to William?
Possibly they died????

As on the census he is consistent with the county he was born in, I think Carmarthan is more likely to be his p.o.b.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 December 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
You are right about his birth place it was Llanelly

I tried looking for likely matches in BMD for Thomas John Phillips b 1874/5 in Llanelly and the only likely match I found was for 23 Feb 1874. The birth parents were given as Henry Phillips and Eleanor Phillips formerly Davies who lived at 34 Dolau Llanelly  I the tried to relate this information to children or thought it unlikely to be him as I could not find any connection to either the Phillips or Edwards families

Incidentally the birth places for William is given as follows
1861 nk  Pembrokeshire
1871 Lanriolo Pembrokeshire
1881 Carmarthen
1891 Llanfallteg Carmarthenshire
 Llanfallteg is right on the border between Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire with parts of the parish in each county.
Martha was born in Solva Pembrokeshire. In 1861 they both lived in Herbranston with their family
Thomas John's age in 1891 was given as 16 on his individual record. This ties up with his age at his marriage in 1900

Where do I go from here?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 December 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I think you can definately discount the birth reg -parents Henry and Eleanor, as I think this is them in 1881
new Dock Rd
Llanelly
Henry Phillips head 35 Engine driver at works carm
Eleanor wife 35 Carm
Ellen J daughter 14 Carm
THOMAS J son 7 Carm
Ammie M daughter 3 Lanelly
Eugenie M 8mths Lanelly
RG11 5373 33 5

back to the drawing board!!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk