Author Topic: Looking for Warrens sent to Canada by NCH, 1920's.  (Read 7106 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children to Canada
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 07 09:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi there,

Just wanted to update you on my search for my missing Great Uncles:

Norman Claude and Ernest Henry WARREN, sent to Canada by the NCH in 1921 and 1923 respectively.

After writing to the NCH Headquarters in London with documentary proof of my relationship to these boys, I have now been sent copies of the files held on them by the NCH. It makes for harrowing reading...:-(

NCH lost touch with the boys in 1929/1930, however I am hopeful of being able to trace them further...
(Neither of them settled in Canada, Norman moving to the USA, & Ernest hoping to go to Australia when last heard of).

Many Thanks for help on here,
Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Warrens sent to Canada by NCH, 1920's.
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Romilly, did you ever find more re: marriage or death of your Warrens, U.S./Aus.?
Let us know if you found anything...and link to your other queries for quick reference as well...
Also is the search in Canada now completed ? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 February 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi J.J.

Absolutely no luck with this at all I'm afraid:-(

The only further info that I have is that on their Mother, Amy Eliza Warren's Death Cert, (she died on 30th March 1959 in Narrabeen, New South Wales, Australia at age 78yrs) it says that Norman Claude Warren is dead. (Australian Death Certs list descendants of the deceased).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Rom, you must link to other queries...was the marriage you found the right one?

Norman Claude died before 1959 ( also evidence of him from N.Y. in 1929)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,271905.0.html
previous census lookups tried
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,271189.0.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 February 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »

J.J. I have no idea how to link my reply to other threads!

No, sadly that Cert wasn't the right one.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 February 09 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Just like I did only add all links on each thread...go into search and find all your threads on one person/couple....
( if there are multiples ) then make a list of all the links somewhere, in a word file or an email, or right on a thread is fine...copy and paste into the others threads as well, then, delete the url to the one you are in...

I used to do it for people, but it takes a lot of my time...  rather be searching thanks...hehe

too bad that cert wasn't the right one...Maybe one day some descendants will find you...it happens!

Hoping for the best, fingers crossed... J.J.

Offline TheWombat

• RootsChat Extra
  • This above all: to thine own self be true ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 February 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »
.....  er, excuse me for butting in ...........

Romilly, I may have neglected to mention that Aunty Dot ( Dorothy WARREN, Norman and Ernest's sister) did tell me that Ernest (or Ernie as as she called him) did turn up in Australia to 're-acquaint' himself with his family.  To quote Aunty Dot " he looked us over, apparently didn't think much of us, and disappeared again."   Perhaps, just perhaps, he remained somewhere in Australia.  The Australian searches that I've made so far though haven't turned up any trace of him (because each Australian State has different repositories with different rules searching is not that easy).

As far as Norman is concerned; in the documentation that Romilly so kindly obtained there's  a letter from NCH, Hamilton, Ontario, to NCH, England, (re the birth certificate Norman requested) which says that Norman returned to NCH, Hamilton, sometime in 1929 and collected the certificate in person.  The letter also mentions that Norman claims to be employed in a New York City night club, but, "did not appear to have a permanent address".  A question that has to asked is; did he return to the US, or did he remain in Canada?

The search goes on .........

Regards
TheWombat
WARREN - Greater London
BREWSTER - Essex
GOSLING - Devon

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 February 09 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Apparently Ancestry.ca is going to have more border crossing from Canada to USA, so hopefully when they update the current lists maybe Norman will be found crossing over?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline TheWombat

• RootsChat Extra
  • This above all: to thine own self be true ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 February 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Ah, Karen ....... one lives in hope.

Regards
WARREN - Greater London
BREWSTER - Essex
GOSLING - Devon