Author Topic: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance  (Read 14836 times)

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 08 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

that is the trouble, i don't have any info on John at all other than his marriage to Eleanora.  And that only says that they were married and which parish. 'John Lawrence & Eleanora Shand both in the parish were married'.   

... back to the search...

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey

A search on IGI brings up

a John Laurence christened 10 May 1788 Rathen with mother and father Alexr Lawrence and Margt. Milne

a John Lawrence christened 12 Oct 1788 Rathen with mother and Father Alexr Lawrence and Mary Pirie

(Also a later John Lawrence christened 02 Jan 1797 Rathen with mother and father Alexr Lawrence and Margt. Milne)

Both the 1788 entries are possibles as he would have been 18 in 1806 when he married Eleanora

If you haven't  used IGI before go to the link

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp

Enter first name and last name (leave parents blank if you don't know who they are)

Choose your "Event" e.g. Birth/Christening, enter an approximate year and year range

Select Region as British Isles, Country as Scotland, County as Aberdeen

Then click on Search which will bring up a range of what it can find.

Note IGI entries are often unsubstantiated and aren't  guaranteed as being correct but often do prove to be right.

Roy

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A further search just putting in Alexr Laurence as Father and Margt Milne as mother also brings up

William Laurence christened 02 March 1781 Rathen

therefore a possible earlier brother

If you try various combinations e.g. just putting in father, just putting in mother, using full names Alexander and Margaret and different years and year ranges you may find more.

Roy

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
There is also a

Jean Laurence christened 11 Feb 1785 Rathen

Father Alexr Laurence mother Margt Mill (but this could just be a misspelling of Milne)

Roy

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 February 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

I have a question for you!  AFter a false start I am now looking at the Edinburgh area where the Laurances moved to in roughly 1850.  The eldest son, Johan, who was born in England in 1841 ish was a Cabinet maker journeyman - however, he disappears after his fathers death in 1863 and I can't find him in either England or Scotland!

Would his name have been listed as 'John' rather than 'Johan'????  Also, a bit of a moan, how come Scottish records are sooooooooooo good and you can look at the certificates on line.... English records you have to guess that you have the right one and then order it!!!   

In all my searching i have to say that the Scotland part was by far the easiest - they seem to have really got a hold on this ancestory stuff and even very old certificates are all available to view online - and the people are really helpful...    there isn't even an email address for 'Ancestory.co.uk' in England. 

any ideas on what i can do next to find this 'Johan Lawrence/Laurance'???

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 February 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey

Can you please Supply us with some more background/information. I have done a quick search of the censuses for Johan Laurance and can't find anything at all. So can you please let us known:

How did you find him in the first place, and your references/sources
Where in England was he born?
What his parents, brothers, sisters names were?
How do you know his profession, is he in the 1861 census? If so where?
What references have you got for the Laurances moving to Edingburgh?

These might give clues as to where/how you can do further searches.

P.S. I totally agree the Scottish Census/Marriage/Birth/Death records are so much better than the English/Welsh ones

Roy

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 February 08 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Here goes...

Firstly, it took me ages to decipher his name - it looked like Faban, or Laban and then I realised it was probably Johan through looking at other handwriting on the certificates.  Of course, I may be wrong!!!  now i'm looking at the first letter, it doesn't look anything like the 'J' for Joseph... it looks more like a swirly 'L'. 

anyway...

Joseph Lawrence b. 1815 married Elizabeth Morris b. ?.  Found Josephs death cert with correct spouse, profession, age and area (Edinburgh).  On this certificate a Johan (Faban/Laban) Lawrence, Son,  is the informant.

1851 Census - Johan Lawrence is listed as Son, age 10 and a scholar
1861 Census - Johan Lawrence is listed as Son, age 20 and a Cabinet Maker-Journeyman
1871 Census - No Johan as he has probably moved out by then

As to brothers & sisters:

Johan 1841 ????

Joseph 1849 to 1930 - married Agnes Grieve in 1869.  They had 7 children.  (This is the family line that leads down to me eventually!).

Matilda 1850 to 1943 - Married Alexander Campbell McLeod and had 6 children, Alexander died around 1871 and she then married William Sutherland

James 1853 to 1893 - Married Ellen/Helen, died a pauper in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, 2 children died in early infancy, his wife died in 1891. 

Elizabeth 1855 to 1885 - Married Thomas Dick - 1 child

Alice 1860 - can't find anything out about her either!

It looks like the family moved to Edinburgh just before Joseph was born...  Joseph, Elizabeth and 'Johan' all have ENGLAND as 'where born' on their Census returns.  Son Joseph has 'EDINBURGH' as do the rest of the children after.  I have no idea why they moved to Edinburgh...

I hope you can help - this family tree stuff is so important to me cos I was adopted as a baby and this is the family I might have had if my lovely Grandfather had been listened to when he said 'why don't we keep her?'.   I did eventually find my natural mother and her father was Jock Lawrence - this is the line I am tracing back. 

Tracey

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 February 08 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it is definitely an 'L' as it matches the Lawrence...  so it looks like 'Laban'.  Will try searching for this but i think i have already done this and not found anything!!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 February 08 19:33 GMT (UK) »
 :) This marriage entry looks promising:

1865   LAWRENCE   LABAN   FARQUHARSON   JANE   ST GILES   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN   685/04 0084

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk