Author Topic: evan j owen and family llanrug  (Read 3608 times)

Offline wallaseygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
evan j owen and family llanrug
« on: Monday 03 December 07 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace my grandmother's family.
Her name was Kate Ann Owen and she was born at Pantirion Llanrug in November 1906.
Her mother was Maggie Owen (aged 18 and a domestic servant) but she was brought up as one of Evan and Jane's children.
Evan was from Llanbeblig, Jane was from Bedgellert and they were married in approx 1879. Evan was a quarryman probably working at the Cefn Du slate quarry

Their children were Jane, David(?Arthur), Hannah, Johnny,Laura,Maggie(kate's mum),Mary,Richard,Robert and Owen.

Kate married Emyr Caradog Roberts in 1933,at St Michaels church Llanrug and died in Kenilworth 1944.
She had 2 children Janet Ellen Ann and William Emyr.

If anyone knows anything about Kate or her family please get in touch

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: evan j owen and family llanrug
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 15:50 GMT (UK) »
John Evan Owen of Pantirion, Llanrug is commemorated on the WW1 Memorial in the Institute at Llanrug. He was Private 47146 of the 10th Battalion, Welsh Regiment and died of wounds on 22/3/1917 aged 25 years. He is buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Belgium. Grave II.D.18.

Here is his CWGC entry
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=440666

It names his parents as Evan John and Jane Owen

The 10th (Service) Battalion Welsh Regiment (known as the 1st Rhondda) was in the 114th Brigade of the 38th (Welsh) Division.
Note that he died of wounds rather than killed in action on that date. I haven't, as yet, any information as to the date/way he received those wounds.
I am not aware of any 'major' battles that the Division was involved in around the time of his death. It had had a mauling in the summer of 1916 at Mametz on the Somme. About the end of that August it moved as part of the 8th Corps to the Ypres area. After a short period in reserve at Esquelbesques the Division took over the line just north of Ypres opposite Pilkhem Ridge (scene of a major battle later on in July 1917) until June 1917. The Division spent a comparitevly quiet time here, punctuated only by raids which gradually carried out more frequently and on a larger scale as time went on.

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above. I see that I have taken a photo of the family grave at St Michael's, Llanrug (for my WW1 research)

It is not a good shot, into the sun etc, but I can make out
David died 9/7/1913 aged 19 yrs
Hannah Grace died 11/8/1915 aged 17 years
Then details re Pte Evan John Owen
Evan John Owen(the father) 23/6/1927 aged 66
Evan Evan Owen 21 12 1928 aged 27
There is one more down the bottom but it's covered by grass.

Insofar as Evan John Owen being a Quarryman at Cefn Du. Unless you have specific info to that effect then I would also consider the much larger Dinorwig Quarry.

Gwil

Offline wallaseygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gwil
 :)Thank you so much for the information on the Owen family and in particular about John  Evan Owen and his role in WW1

Could you or anyone else reading this provide me with answers to any of the following

I am assuming Pantitirion was the name of a house, the road isn't listed in the census but it was next to a Pilgrims rest bakery a butchers and Llanrug house.
Does anyone know where this is in Llanrug? They also lived at 6 llane y grys in the 1891 census again does anyone know this?

Is the institute open to the public so I can view the war memorial?

Roughly whereabouts in the graveyard is the Owen family gravestone?

Can I access Dinorwig quarry records to find out if Evan worked there?

Any more information gratefully received

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm not that au fait with the whereabouts of places in Llanrug so hopefully someone else will come in on that score.
The 1891 Census is Llain y Gro.

Looking at the 1901 Census and some of the other places I think it may be on the road fronm the Square towards the Church.
Put Llanrug in
 www.multimap.com

and the map should come up with the area known local as Y Sgwar (the square) circled.
Zoom in and you will see a road called Ffordd Glanmoelyn leading off it. You will also see a road off that called Bryn Moelyn, now a housing estate. These two names appear on the 1901 on the page after Pant tirion.
I've no idea where Llain y Gro is.

Re the Church. If you follow the Ffordd Glanmoelyn to it's junction with Ffordd Minffordd and carry straight on down the unclassified to the fork in the road, take the right fork and the Church is there on the left.

I don't know the opening hours etc re the Institue. If you put Institute+llanrug in google one of the first hits should be a site showing a photo of the building by Eric Jones who has taken numerous photos in Arfon. There's also a map there which I see shows the Church as well. If you click on the 'find more nearby' next to Erics name under Photographer you will numerous shots of the area. I would be surprised if the Old Smithy on page two wasn't the Hebron Smithy shown near Pant tirion in the 1901 census. Page 5 has a few in the Churchyard.

If you Pm me your email I will send you the photo of the grave and of the memorial in the next few days.

Re Dinorwig Quarries. Gwynedd Archives have a large deposit of their records. I cannot think of any where you can easily look up a name to see if he worked there. Thousands were employed in the quarries and this is reflected in one of the Accident Books which has over a thousand entries per annum. You may find him in there but you would have to look hard. It's worth ringing the Archives though.

Gwil

Offline hanteu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 08 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Llain y Gro or Llaingro is a terrace of about 6 houses on the road leading through Llanrug from Caernarfon towards Llanberis. They are on the left, some 200 yards before the crossroads, as you leave Llanrug for Cwmyglo and Llanberis.

Offline wallaseygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 08 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hanteu
Thanks a lot for the information I am planning to visit the village this Friday and Saturday so will look out for it.