Author Topic: Hunts/Cambs RO charges  (Read 2724 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hunts/Cambs RO charges
« on: Thursday 06 December 07 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Haven't used Hunts RO's services for a while, and have just now discovered that they (and Cambs, of course) have copied a certain budget airline by adding a "handling fee" of £2.50 for orders sent by post.  They also now send you an order form for copies which includes a pageful of conditions which you must agree to.  Gone are their days of simple communication and free p+p.  :'(

Luckily their research fees don't seem to have increased!

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline vbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hunts/Cambs RO charges
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The order form has been brought in because of new copyright guidelines, its something they're obliged to do by law. its not without its annoyances for staff either, it creates a lot more work.

i imagine the handling fee would have something to do with how little funding they're given by the council, they have to cover their costs somehow!
Sussex: Pilbeam, Pelling<br />Grimsby: Guest<br />Norfolk: Bell, Perry

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi vbell

Don't get me wrong.  Hunts RO have always provided an excellent service at a reasonable price.  It's just that life used to be so simple..... ::) (Am I turning into a Grumpy Old Woman, I wonder?  :-[)

Gillg

p.s. My local (not Hunts/Cambs) RO has introduced parking fees for what used to be a free car park, and increased the cost of their copying facilities, so I guess the pinch is being felt generally.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora G.O.W.
Does that apply to the GRO as well?
I'm about to do battle with them!
Cheers
Cuzzie Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Grrrrr (or whatever noise G.O.W.s make) Marlene!

Don't think the GRO have increased their charges, though they do charge a £2 handling fee if you ask for something that isn't correct.  You only get £5 back!  So beware, but having read your other thread, it would seem that they were the ones who made the mistake.

Best of luck in your battle.  Sounds like a case of David v Goliath, but look who won there! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers cuz

Gill

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Furious with myself for not using the local office but there you go!
Rained today - bliss! We've lost another Fairy - mother's favourite cousin died yesterday  so our moods matched the weather!
Be in touch
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Marlene

Sorry to hear of the death of your Fairy relative.  My sympathies to you and your mother. 

Regards,

Gill