Author Topic: Nelson Stannard, b abt 1800, Norfolk - COMPLETED, THANKS!!!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Nelson Stannard, b abt 1800, Norfolk - COMPLETED, THANKS!!!
« on: Monday 10 December 07 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

This a bit broad, but I have absolutely no clue where specifically in Norfolk he was born, that is ONE of the things I'm trying to find out... :-[

I'm trying to find any information about Nelson Stannard.

This is what I might know for definite so far:
He appears in London in the 1841 Census as having been born in abt 1801;
He might appear in London in the 1851 Census as William Stannard, born abt 1799 in Norfolk, England (the connection is that William is a family name, and all the other household members are identical from 1841, barring the appearance of Robert (also a family name) who wasn't present in the 1841 census...)
He married Jane Pritchard in Jul-Aug-Sep 1838, in Greenwich, England

I know I'm reaching for straws here, but I really would like to know where he was born so that I can find out if William and Nelson Stannard are the same person (possible - given that his son, my g-g-grandfather WAS William Nelson Stannard), and where exactly he came from so that I can start tracing back further than 1800.

I'd (if possible) like to know if he was married before he married Jane in 1838 (40 is quite old for that time for a 1st time marriage).

I've found a POSSIBLE previous spouse (Mary) in the 1841 Census in Saham Toney (Norfolk), but have no idea if they were actually married (on the print-out of the original census record, her original status was widow, but this is crossed out...)  Did divorce HAPPEN in those days???  I'm basing that supposition (and it IS a big suppose, I know!) on the appearance of Robert Stannard of about the right age in her household, and the tenuous fact that Nelson came from Suffolk, and that Robert only started appearing in the 1851 census in his household, but must have been somewhere in the 1841 census...!

HELP!

Regards,

P.

Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson Stannard, b abt 1800, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
A late marriage because he was serving in the army. The actual marriage certificate would confirm his status at the time of his marriage? The only divorces at this time were by private act of parliament. Only extremely wealthy people could afford to petition for a divorce.

WO 97/1263/150 NELSON STANNARD Born LONG STRATON, Norfolk Served in Royal Horse Artillery Discharged aged 30 1831-1838

1871 census RG10 1758 folio 164
Union Workhouse Nacton Suffolk
Nelson Stanard Inmate Widower 68 Butcher Long Stratton Norfolk

Deaths Jun 1873   
STANNARD  Nelson  71  Woodbridge  4a 405

A possible death registration for Jane

Deaths Dec 1866   
Stannard  Jane  63  Whitechapel  1c 299

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelson Stannard, b abt 1800, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
1851 census HO107 1831 folio 451
Saham Toney Norfolk
Mary Stannard 60 Head Widow Pauper Great Cressingham Norfolk
Elizth Stannard 24  Daughter Saham Toney Norfolk
Robert Stannard 22 Son Saham Toney Norfolk

Censuses are full of mistakes including people being missed off.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk