Author Topic: 1947 Australian Criminal Register - any relo's?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1947 Australian Criminal Register - any relo's?
« on: Tuesday 11 December 07 06:39 GMT (UK) »
I am in possession of the 1947 Australian Criminal Register which has names/photo's/modus operandi of 600 Australian pickpockets, tricksters, thieves forgers, false pretenders etc.....

If you think you might have a ancestor of that vintage who may have been a "black sheep" of the family, I'm willing to check the register, and supply you with their photo and details.

I have one proviso. Some of these persons may still be alive, so I will only give particulars of those born 100 years ago (pre 1908 at this stage), or if you can prove that person is deceased. The majority of the persons in the book would be born 100 years ago.

For other "Black Sheep", I would suggest this site at the NSW State Archives;

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=22

Its a searchable data base for Gaol Photographs taken 1870 - 1930, and supplies a reference. If you can make it to the Archives with that reference, you can obtain the gaol photo and record of that person. I found the photo and record of one great uncle - a fantstic piece of "Black Sheep" family history.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!