Author Topic: Kirkleatham Parish Records  (Read 1550 times)

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkleatham Parish Records
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering if anyone has access to Kirkleatham Parish records, would they mind seeing if there is a birth for Abraham Forth or Firth abt 1754 or any other Forths or Firths.  I know there is a marriage for Abraham Firth and Margaret Cowper (Cooper) 1779.    Thanks

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline MINOR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkleatham Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
There is,nt a baptism, but just in case you don't have the full transcript, here is the marriage -
Abraham Firth, Labr & Margaret Cowper, Spin: Banns
9 Feb 1779 Wits John Bulmer Wm Moody

(John Bulmer seems to be a regular witness)

This could be Margaret Cooper, baptism, also Kirkleatham
Margaret D. of Thos Cooper of East Coatham, Farmer 2 Feb 1753
Clavering, Hudson, Baister, Bloomfield, Duff, Donaldson, Oxendale, Dodds, Lazenby,  Dodsworth, Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thankyou so much for that.  Was wondering, if you have this on disc, would you mind seeing if there are any births in the 1780s for any Firths, particularly Hannah Firth who says she was born Loftus 1783, but does not come up on the batches.      Many thanks.

Val ???
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.

Offline MINOR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
These are from the BVRI, worth a look because of the similarity in Parish name-

Hannah Firth bap 8 Aug 1784 Kirkheaton Yorkshire, father Robert Firth, also another daughter Jenny Firth bap 24 Dec 1786

Hannah Firth baptised 20 July 1788 Kirkheaton Yorkshire, father William Firth
William has another daughter Elizabeth bap 6 Jun 1784
and son John bap 26 Dec 1785
Clavering, Hudson, Baister, Bloomfield, Duff, Donaldson, Oxendale, Dodds, Lazenby,  Dodsworth, Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me.   I am pretty convinced Hannah Firth was born in one of the villages around Loftus abt 1783. She married John Rogers in 1816 at Easington by Guisborough.  He also states he was born Loftus abt 1785, funnily enough his birth does not come up either.   What I have found is the birth of William Rogers at Loftus in 1789, parents Thomas and Hannah  (marriage Skelton 1782 Thomas Rogers and Hannah Fidler).   I have also found the birth of Elizabeth Foth 1789 Loftus, parents Abraham Foth and Margaret  - marriage Abraham Firth and Margaret Cowper Kirkleatham 1779.   Margaret Cowper appears to have been born in Kirkleatham. but Abraham was not.

On the entry in the parish record of the marriage of Hannah Firth (Forth) and John Rogers one of the witnesses is Ann Fidlear (Fidler).    Their eldest daughter they named Margaret, and their eldest son they named Thomas (I understand this was the tradition then).   

I have at the moment, the film of the parish records of Loftus and the births of Hannah Firth and John Rogers are not shown, but given all the above I feel they most likely were but would have liked to find their births to confirm this.

Hope you followed all the above, I am completely exasperated.   Perhaps someone can help me with this.

Thanks once again.     :'(

Val