Author Topic: A Date Please  (Read 2181 times)

Offline MALCOLM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
A Date Please
« on: Monday 17 December 07 00:21 GMT (UK) »

Could someone date these two pictures please.

Malcolm.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Date Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
They are the same.

Rog

If you are having trouble there are tutorials at the top of the board on how to upload photos.

Offline MALCOLM

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 07 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 07 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm,

I was about to post a reference, but you beat me to it.

I dont know if your cards have rounded corners or they are worn.

Rounded corners came in about 1870, but from about 1974 the full length portraits, like your 1st photo started to go out of fashion - so the 1st one 1870-75?

The second one, as a close up portrait, would be after about 1873, but how much after you need a clothes expert.

Do you have the originals? If you do if you could scan the back of the cards - they often have more information.

Rog

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 07 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

Sorry I can't help with a date but I've had a play with your pic hope you don't mind.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 07 02:09 GMT (UK) »
The first photograph shows the woman with her hair with a centre parting and the main body of the hair pulled/brushed back above the ears leaving them exposed. It has then been placed into a plait and then fixed to the back of the head in place of a bun. She is wearing a jacket bodice which has dropped shoulder seaming and full sleeving from shoulder to wrist. The bodice is completed with short basques. Her skirt is an apron skirt and there is a hint of a bustle to be seen. The man has whiskers but no moustache and his hair is cut short leaving the ears exposed and has a centre parting. The jacket that he is wearing looks like either a double breasted morning coat or a Cambridge (but going by the lapels it looks more like a morning coat). All the bove, plus the style of the photograph suggests to me a date period of between 1870 and 1875.

The second photograph showing the head and shoulders of a woman would appear to be from the same period.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 December 07 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmmm....if I had seen this before OR posted his analysis, I might have put the date of the second picture a bit earlier...the hair covering the ears might have tempted me to think about 1860-1865 or so....Is there some possibility of this, Old Rowley, or am I just being simplistic about it?

As usual, your examination of the first picture makes me envious of your detailed eye ;)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline MALCOLM

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 December 07 11:38 GMT (UK) »
  Thank guys for the info.

This the reverse of the two pics in the same order. the top pic has some writing across the top, i wonder if you have the wizardry to be able to read it.

Malcolm.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 December 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

I think it says Sep '05  or '65  :-\

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]