Author Topic: WW2 Hospital Langland Bay  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Avoca

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1589 - 2004
    • View Profile
WW2 Hospital Langland Bay
« on: Monday 17 December 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
During WW2 I spent some time in what I believe was known as Langland Hospital. Any information about this hospital would be appreciated.
Bevan, Swansea and Gower - Bishopston, Pennard and Porteynon, Date, Swansea, and, Bridgwater and Porlock, Somerset, Hughes,  Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth and Talybont, Cardiganshire, Shea, Swansea, Morrissey, Swansea and Cappoquin, Clancy, Swansea and Avoca, Casey, Swansea, Balch, Swansea, Moore, Porlock, Somerset, Thomas, Swansea and Carmarthenshire, Jarvis/Jervis, Somerset, Murphy, Swansea and Ireland

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Hospital Langland Bay
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 07 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avoca ,
There isn't a hospital  that I can think of - There may  very well have one  been during ww11, a set up camp situation which was just temporary measure in one of the old houses

when you say you spent time there - was it a children's hospital, maternity hospital, or just a general hospital? There was one set up  in Reynoldston ( maternity and evacuee children  in ww11) but it isn't that close to Langland.

I can ask my mum in law who is born around the area and still lives there  if she knew of a hospital around Langland during that era , but  she would need to know what sort of hospital.

Another idea is to contact Ty hanes to see if they have  heard of it - The Mumbles history group  (they cover Langland ), you could also try county hall

Hope that is of some help
Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Avoca

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1589 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 07 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell !!

This large building was pointed out to me as a child. A Victorian pile similar to Cyfarthfa Castle. In later years one of my family often frequented it when used as an hotel. On line today I saw a photograph of Langland Bay Manor. Was this formerly Langland Bay Hotel?? If so I have found it. I went to hosptal 1943 for surgery and maybe was sent  to convalesce. It was certainly a canvalescent hospital. It seems the Crawshays who built Cyfarthfa  also built Langland Bay Manor.

Thanks for your interest

Avoca.
Bevan, Swansea and Gower - Bishopston, Pennard and Porteynon, Date, Swansea, and, Bridgwater and Porlock, Somerset, Hughes,  Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth and Talybont, Cardiganshire, Shea, Swansea, Morrissey, Swansea and Cappoquin, Clancy, Swansea and Avoca, Casey, Swansea, Balch, Swansea, Moore, Porlock, Somerset, Thomas, Swansea and Carmarthenshire, Jarvis/Jervis, Somerset, Murphy, Swansea and Ireland

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avoca,
I  certainly think  It may be same one. I always thought  it was a hotel, or a nursing home for the elderly.
I never really thought about it growing up. It was just there to me, same as the sky is up above- if you know what I mean. I didn't realise it was  " private" hospital for miners etc.

It seems that it  was used as a public hospital during during ww2 for a short time  so I  do think that  it is very likely that it's the hospital you stayed at :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/wales/south_west/4102858.stm

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u