Author Topic: POW escapee(s), how can I trace the?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
POW escapee(s), how can I trace the?
« on: Wednesday 26 December 07 21:37 GMT (UK) »
It hs long been said in my family that I have ancstors who escaped from a Stalag Luft POW camp, or just a general POW camp.
Can anybody tell me how I can search for anybody. I do not have any forenames as yet, but can get them as the last surviving relative  most likely to have info is in the US (Im in UK), and we have only just got contact going again. When she phones again I will ask if she has any nfo for me :)
The name I'm interested in is Reay, and I have ben told the man/men who escaped were in the RAF.
Any help in tracing them would begreatly appreciated. I want to try and see if this is true, or perhaps someone has been telling me porkies for the last 60 years! :P

Regards and the best for 2008!
Matt :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline em

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: POW escapee(s), how can I trace the?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 07 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Found this site.  Not sure if its your Reay.

www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/65/a8680665.shtml

Regards

em
bristol:  cleeve;  beese
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 07 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi em, that is VERY interesting, as my Reay's were from Northumberland too. Not sure about the name Ned though, I will see what Jean says when we make contact again.

Thankyou for this, it has really got me interested in these guys now!! Maybe I'll find that connection...

I'll post again when I have more info to let you know how I got on with Jean (granddad's sister).

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There are two Reay's in the RAF book as PoWs.

1475922 F/Sgt T.A. Reay  PoW No 43101 PoW camp 357 (Kopernikus, Thorn).
1541851 W/O W.E. Reay PoW No 1160  PoW Camp L4 Stalag Luft (Sagan & Belaria).

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 December 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
These two names are very interesting themonsstar. Do you know where I can search a POW number, name, etc, and perhaps there may be additonal info on these two men. Will the nationalarchives hold records?

Thankyou for finding these name, if the latter's initials stand for William Edward (two prominent Reay forenames, then it may be a true story afterall. My g granddad had a brother called Eddie. His middle name may have been Eddie and as is sometimes common, he has used this as his first name. All guess work however at present, I hope to ring Jean tonight...

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 07 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There are 3 Reays at least as PoWs:

357 43101 Reay T A   1475922 RAF   
L4 1160 Reay W E   1541851 RAF   
344 24799 Reay W G   405455 RNZAF

The numbers refer to the camps:
L4 is Sagan and Belaria (Sagan was the 'Great Escape' camp)
344 was Lamsdorf
357 was Kopernikus

You could try posting a request for help on the main category message board at:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=127
 You will have to register to post as the site was suffering from a lot of spam postings. You may find that someone has a copy of the relevant WO file from the National Archives with the Escape/Evasion report however, not all of these have survived intact. There is also a card index to escaper/evaders at the National Archives. Again however, not all of the later files are indexed, I did start to go through some of them and make a partial index of air force evaders but I didn't manage to get that much done in the time I was there. Also I did post a link on this site relating to Eascape /Evasion files where a couple of people that I know have photographed the index pages to some of the files, however, this will not give you much more info than I have already given you.

Regards,

Ann

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 07 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann, thankyou so theres another Reay that could be related :O Im not sure though as it looks like the latter of the three served in the New Zealand Air Force. Although some Reay's went to Australia, none did so to NZ.

Thankyou for the info on the camps :) Does that mean that Sagan and Belaria were two different camps in the same complex?

I'll have a shot at trying to post on the rafcommands, thankyou once again Ann.

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 07 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

It looks like Ross McNeil who runs the site I got the PoW info from had made a mistake and L4 sgould be in Tychowo, Poland.
Sorry about that misinformation. Hope that someone will be ale to help you with your Reay.

Regards,

Ann

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
It hs long been said in my family that I have ancstors who escaped from a Stalag Luft POW camp, or just a general POW camp.
Can anybody tell me how I can search for anybody. I do not have any forenames as yet, but can get them as the last surviving relative  most likely to have info is in the US (Im in UK), and we have only just got contact going again. When she phones again I will ask if she has any nfo for me :)
The name I'm interested in is Reay, and I have ben told the man/men who escaped were in the RAF.
Any help in tracing them would begreatly appreciated. I want to try and see if this is true, or perhaps someone has been telling me porkies for the last 60 years! :P

Regards and the best for 2008!

Hi Matt,
            the Family were not necessarily telling Porkies. I have checked my Catalogue of Escapers and Evaders Reports and haven't found one made by your Ancestor. There could be different reasons for this - He could have been recaptured ; he could have Escaped from the Camp and been hidden by the local inhabitants until the area was liberated. If it was the latter I have come across Reports by such"Escapers"in the Liberation Reports.
A visit to The National Archives and a look in WO344/265/1 would be worth while,even if it only eliminates the possibility. Perhaps if you doen't live close enough you have a contact who would look at the file.
Even if he didn't escape he would have made a Report when Liberated.

Good Luck

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany