Author Topic: Reidy family  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Mr Metaxa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reidy family
« on: Thursday 27 December 07 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. As a total newbie to both roots research and this board, I hope that I am searching in the right place.

I am trying to trace a Margaret Mary or Mary Margaret Reidy, who worked in the UK as a nurse, (probably in the Windsor area) during 1950 51. From what little I know, she came from Kerry, but I note that the surname Reidy seems to be more common in Clare, so I may be mistaken.

She would have been born around 1928-1932 I guess.

If anyone can help or offer suggestions, I would be very grateful

Many thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Moderator comment; if you can help with information that suggests a person is still living please reply by Personal Message.  Thanks

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reidy family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 07 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi my ggg grand mother was a Catherine Reidy from Meenleitrim, Castleisland, Co.Kerry

The surname is very popular in that area so no reason to believe that your relative is not from Co.Kerry.

What I would suggest maybe is getting any information you can about Margaret/Mary Reidy on the UK side of the pond.

Also as she was a nurse she may well have trained in the UK so again might be records of that.

Another common thing that a friend, sibling or cousin might be living with or working with her at the time.

Did she marry if so her parents might be listed in state records!

Getting a list of the nurses in Windsor at the time could help. How to get that not too sure.

Also Passenger records if available can be very helpful.

Her death notice in Newspaper might list her origins! And any siblings.

Like a detective gathering clues might take some time but can be fun.

Just a few ideas

Happy New Year :)
Ger

Offline Mr Metaxa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the kind reply. I am no genealogist as is probably obvious, but finding this person, (whom I hope is still living), may be the final step in tracing a whole new branch of my family.  I will certainly try your suggestions Gerard.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr Metaxa,

A letter to the Editor of The Kerryman might jog a few memories if he would be kind enough to publish it for you www.kerryman.ie

Helen Brennan's book "The Story of Irish Dancing" mentions a Kerry dance master, "Professor" Patrick D. Reidy, then living in Hackney, who was a dominant influence
in the first Irish ceili which was organised by the Gaelic League in London in 1897. www.iol.ie/~ronolan/dancebook.html

Christopher

Offline Mr Metaxa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 June 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the above. I am on holiday right now, but will follow up this lead as soon as I can.

Offline Mrsjones77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
Professor Patrick D Reidy was my great, great grandfather. Mary Reidy was his grandaughter. She is my gran.  I don't know if that is the same person you are looking for?