Author Topic: David and Elizabeth  (Read 1846 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
David and Elizabeth
« on: Thursday 27 December 07 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help find the marriage date of David Turnbull ( b1801 ) Berwick to Elizabeth Skeen ( b1804 ) Spittal

I had this in the Berwickshire posting and was told maybe some help could be given in the Northumberland posting
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David and Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth,

Where was their first child born ?. This sometimes gives a clue to time and place of marriage.

What religion were they ?. (Up to July 1837, the only legal way to marry in England and Wales was in a Parish church ,  i.e. "Church of England"... some non-conformists e.g. Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians, married over the border in Scotland to avoid marrying in the "wrong church" )

Berwick was sort of independent of both England and Scotland in that C19th era. Spittal, lying within the C o E Parish of Tweedmouth, lay legally in and under the juridiction of County Durham until 1844.

Michael Dixon
Newcastle
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael ,
Happy New Year to you
I am just finding time now to answer my mail as I was away for a few days over the New year

David and Elizabeth were strong Presbyterians as far as I can gather .He was a printer for the Berwick News paper I wrote to them some time ago asking for information but they had nothing to tell me
They entered my letter into their news paper i got no reply
David travelled to London and Elizabeth must have gone with him as my grt grt grandfather Andrew Farmer Turnbull their second son  was born on a Berwick Smack at sea off Sheerness in 29 April 1827.their  first child was John born 3.6.1822 I don't have a place of birth for him ,after Andrew came Margaret born at London
Elizabeth died at Berwick she was living with Margaret at the time , I have her death certificate she was a widow as David was only in his early 30s when he died
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Joynewfie

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aspen

was there another Andrew Farmer Turnbull?

as I found the above born 29th April 1826 to parents David Turnbull and Elizabeth
Christened 18th June 1826 at Golden Square Presbyterian in Berwick.it is on the IGI .

no sigh of a Marriage though

kind regards
Joy
Avery,Northumberland. Holmes, Northumberland, Jobson,Northumberland. Dickson Scotland? Northumberland. Marley Bedlington And Durham.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 08 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks  Joy
This is my Andrew Farmer Turnbull

I have his death certificate and he died 1888 aged 61

Elizabeth

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 January 08 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Farmer Turnbull bapt 18 June 1826 2nd child and 2nd son of David Turnbull, printer, 18, St. John's Square, Clerkenwell, London, and Elizabeth, his wife. Born at sea off Sheerness 29 April 1826. Baptised in Berwick

Perhaps you should look around London for this marriage.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 08 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Janis,
I have tried looking for the marriage in London but up to now had no luck

Their daughter Margaret was born in London

As I said above
Elizabeth

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »

Elizabeth,

What denomination of London churches did you search ?

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Michael I cannot remember I did this when I first found Andrew Farmer Turnbull

After finding out that his father David was a printer for the Berwick Advertiser I just took it that they were from Berwick
From what I was told from another searcher was that they were also Lay preachers and Freeman of the Town of Berwick
I have not gone onto this yet

I do know Andrew was a confectioner and worked for the company that made The famous Berwick Cockle

My mother told me that her grt grandfather invented the sweet but I don't think that is true

Elizabeth