Author Topic: Recent Death information  (Read 1356 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Recent Death information
« on: Monday 31 December 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I have gone looking in BerlinBob's lexicon & my apologies if the answer to my query is there - but I can't find it  :(  :(

I am trying to trace a recent (within the last 18 months) death of a distant family member. If possible we would also like to track a will or executor as she had some  wonderful family pictures etc from late 19th & early 20th century & we would like to know if they still exist (she didn't marry & the only other known relatives have no knowledge of when/where she died). I should be able to find her last known address, which I think would be in the Trowbridge area of Wiltshire - but I could be wrong  :(

Any advice much appreciated

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Recent Death information
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Trish - have you tried any local newspapers for the area to see if there has been an "announcement" or obituary? I put Trowbridge + newspaper into Google and got several results - I checked one and there is an online archive back to 2000 (how easily searchable may be another matter). You might get a result by just searching on the name.
Finally, it might be possible that the local registrar would do a search for you - I don't know whether they could check outside their area (in case of death at a hospital in a different district, for example), though.

Re the will - if probate has been granted you can get a copy from the Court Service - link below
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
it is difficult with recent deaths unless you are their next of kin I doubt if you  are entitled to that information.

In these days there is also the problem regarding release of that sort of information to people because of identity theft.

The records of people are sealed I think it maybe 75 years now but it used to be 100 years to anyone not directly related ie. wife/husband/ sons/ daughters. or parents.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:13 GMT (UK) »
it is difficult with recent deaths unless you are their next of kin I doubt if you  are entitled to that information.

In these days there is also the problem regarding release of that sort of information to people because of identity theft.

The records of people are sealed I think it maybe 75 years now but it used to be 100 years to anyone not directly related ie. wife/husband/ sons/ daughters. or parents.

I didn't think this was the case in England DM - the indexes to 2005 are online. I know it is true for where I live in Australia.

Thus said, our family members may be  the closest living kin of this lady.

Trish

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Trish - have you tried any local newspapers for the area to see if there has been an "announcement" or obituary? I put Trowbridge + newspaper into Google and got several results - I checked one and there is an online archive back to 2000 (how easily searchable may be another matter). You might get a result by just searching on the name.
Finally, it might be possible that the local registrar would do a search for you - I don't know whether they could check outside their area (in case of death at a hospital in a different district, for example), though.

Re the will - if probate has been granted you can get a copy from the Court Service - link below
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Thanks mshrmh - I found the site that can be searched & it is very easy to search, but it has only indexed "selected articles" - there appears to be a well known lady with the same surname  :)  who has a number of articles listed, but I don't think she is a near relative (although she may be related to our relatives father - we are related through the mother).

I will try the local registrar when I get confirmation of her last known address, and many thanks for the will link

Trish

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I would try the paper's of the area you think she was living.

Tonight  (my Time as i am already in 2008 ) I found the death notice of a relative  in 2002. ( Canada ) I have only found out he died ( Thanks to a rootschatter  who sent me a message on Christmas Day.)

Good luck

Happy New Year

Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:26 GMT (UK) »
If you had have been the closest relatives of the deceased the lawyers would have contacted you when she passed away.

That is if she left a Will.  if she didn't there would have been an advertisement in the press asking for the relatives of this person to contact them.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »
If you had have been the closest relatives of the deceased the lawyers would have contacted you when she passed away.

That is if she left a Will.  if she didn't there would have been an advertisement in the press asking for the relatives of this person to contact them.

Not if she left her estate  to charity & didn't mention family in her will (most likely)- and if there was an advertisement in the press we wouldn't see it in Australia

It is sad, but not uncommon, to lose contact with older relatives, especially when separated by a considerable distance.  The last time I wrote was a few years ago & I didn't receive a reply. I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that she no longer wanted/was able to correspond.

Trish

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol

I will keep looking - but reading the details in the will information link from mshrmh this looks to be a very useful option

I will suggest to the rels in UK that they follow up on the will (I would do it myself, however sending money to UK from Australia is an expensive/frustrating option - to send 5 pounds costs about 20! - I may write and suggest they add a credit card option)

Trish