Author Topic: Chambers of Eastwood  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chambers of Eastwood
« on: Monday 03 January 05 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I know my Grandma Harritte Ellen Jarvis (nee Draper) was the daughter of Enoch Draper and Annie Chambers and born in 1913 but not much else. I know Enoch was 9 in 1881, living in Notts. I don't know when they were married or when Annie was born and would be grateful for any help.

There was only 1 Annie Chambers in Eastwood (where my father and grandpa say she was from) in 1881 but I'm not sure whether it is her or not? They lived at the Palmerston Arms pub in the Breach.

She would be the right age at 2. Interestingly she always said she went to the same school as DH Lawrence and the Chambers were linked with him. I wonder if there was any link between my Chambers and Jessie Chambers, supposedly a sweetheart of DHL and who had a Sons & Lovers character based on her?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers of Eastwood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, I would think that you need to try and find a marriage for Enoch DRAPER - post 1901 as he is still unmarried and living at home then.   That would give you, hopefully, ages/addresses/occupations and fathers names.

1901 census:

8 Wellington Street, Eastwood

Robert DRAPER head married 64 coal miner - holer b.Greasley Nottingham
Ellen wife 63 b.Eastwood
Enoch dau 29 (occupation partly crossed through but could be fitter's? labourer) b.Eastwood
Ellen dau 28/20? tailoress machinist b.Nottingham

RG13/3144 folio 100 page 42

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 05 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jarv

Please don't take this the wrong way but there really is no need to post the same message on more than one board at the same time as people might be wasting their time looking for the same thing if they don't see other people's replies on the other posting.

I have just done this look up but somebody else might have done it on the other posting - do you see what I mean?  There's no point in me looking further if somebody else (probably quite a few people actually) are also looking .............

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jarv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Point taken. I just noticed in the past that one board seemed to be getting less response than another and didn't want to reduce my chances!

If anyone has any info on the Chambers family in Eastwood I'd be grateful, thanks.

Offline Charm3d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
I found  Anne Beatrice Chambers, estimated birth 1883 in Nottinghamshire.  Parents listed on 1891 Census as, Eliza Anne Chambers and George Sibley.  I was also told that the Chambers had a connection with DH Lawrence.  I do not know if this is true but they all did reside in Hilltop Eastwood.  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Baptism Eastwood
7-1-1872 Enoch son of Robert and Ellen Draper abode Eastwood father a coalminer.
Marriage Mar 1911 Basford 7b/236 Annie Chambers and Enoch Draper.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
there are 7 children possibly registered to Annie and Enoch.
There are 4 baptisms in Eastwood for an Annie or Ann Chambers. You say yours was 2 years on the 1881, there is only 1 baptism that fits that time frame 29-6-1879 Ann Elizabeth dau of Thomas and Mary Chambers abode Eastwood father a publican. This I think ties in nicely with the Palmerstone arms.

David Herbert Richards Lawrence was baptised 29-11-1885 his parents were Arthur and Lydia abode Eastwood and father was a coalminer. The family were in Breach, Greasley on the 1891 and next door was George and Elizabeth Chambers.
The only baptism for a Jessie Chambers I can find is Greasley 4-4-1897 Jessie Hardley dau of Enoch and Mary Isabella Chambers father a Clerk abode Lyncroft.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Charm3d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 August 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I noticed that I quoted some incorrect info.  Here is the correct info, as far as I know:

Anne Beatrice Chambers, born 1883, Eastwood. 

Parents;
George Chambers born, 1848, Eastwood

Eliza Anne Sibley, born 1853, Greasley

Siblings;
Mary J Chambers, 1875, Eastwood

Sarah Eliza Chambers, 1877, Eastwood

George William Chambers, 1880, Eastwood

Edward Chambers, 1886, Eastwood

James Chambers, 1888, Eastwood

Lucy Chambers, 1890, Eastwood

Albert Chambers, 1892, Eastwood

:)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I noticed that I quoted some incorrect info.  Here is the correct info, as far as I know:
Anne Beatrice Chambers, born 1883, Eastwood. 
Parents;
George Chambers born, 1848, Eastwood
Eliza Anne Sibley, born 1853, Greasley
Siblings;
Mary J Chambers, 1875, Eastwood
Sarah Eliza Chambers, 1877, Eastwood
George William Chambers, 1880, Eastwood
Edward Chambers, 1886, Eastwood
James Chambers, 1888, Eastwood
Lucy Chambers, 1890, Eastwood
Albert Chambers, 1892, Eastwood
 :)
Baptism's Eastwood
29-1-1883 Annie Beatrice dau of George and Eliza Ann Chambers abode Eastwood father a blacksmith.
1-8-1847 George son of John and Mary Chambers father a FW Knitter abode Hill Top.
Nothing for Eliza Sibley.
Marriage Greasley
2-9-1872 George Chambers and Eliza Ann Sibley
Children of George and Eliza, sibs to Annie Beatrice
30-9-1877 Sarah Eliza
25-7-1880 George William
8-12-1873 Mary Eliza --buried1-1-1874 infant
15-12-1874 Mary Jane --Buried 29-5-1886 aged 12
Arthur, no baptism found but a burial 18-3-1887 aged 4
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Sarah birks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm new to this and was looking for the draper history and came across this post, my great grandma was Annie chambers, one of her sons James was my grandad, they lived in new eastwood nottingham. If you need any other information about this, please ménage me.

Sarah.