Author Topic: Nicholas Rossiter & Lucy Waddick  (Read 5462 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Nicholas Rossiter & Lucy Waddick
« on: Monday 03 January 05 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information about Nicholas Rossiter ( born Wexford in about 1809 ) and his wife Lucy Waddick ( born Wexford in about 1814).

They had a son, Nicholas Joseph Rossiter, who was also born in Wexford in 1835.

Any information, particularly about their parents and siblings, wil be greatly appreciated. TIA.

best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Rossiter & Lucy Waddick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Nicholas Rossiter born Wexford 1836 but mother was not Waddick and Father was Michael. I am a Nicholas Joseph and Nicholas has been a constant in generations of our family. Nicky Rossiter
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

I have a Nicholas born 1836, parents Michael & Elizabeth who both died in Ardcavan. It's one of a number of lines I am investigating. If it is your line, I'd appreciate any information you have as mine is limited. TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
That looks like my line.
I am reorganising my study at present but should get back to you over weekend.
Where are you located and what is the connection to Ardcavan / Castlebridge?

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 October 05 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Don't want to get your hopes up too much as I don't have a great deal on the family..I am just aware of the line. Having said that I'm quite prepared to help you look but I am not a family member and I won't be able to appreciate the significance of family events without help.

I am based in Greater Manchester and am researching the Rossiter family generally i.e. all over the world.

Ireland is particularly difficult because a lot of the records were destroyed.I often find that I am forced to rely on smatterings of information from here and there to try to build up the structure of a branch of the family tree.

As for Ardcavan,I can't help I'm afraid.

Drop me a line at the weekend or when you are ready and maybe we can piece this together.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 19:02 GMT (UK) »
My Nicholas was born 1836 and died 1865
His father Michael was born 1803 - no other info but wife appears as Betty Gray

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Your Nicholas was married to Eleanor Swift. The date I have is February 24th 1857 but no location. I have no information about Eleanor and would appreciate any info you have please.

Michael, his father, was from Knottstown in Wexford and Betty was from Ballytrammon and died in Ardcavan. Unfortunately I have no dates for either event.

I have a list of Michael and Betty's children with approximate years of birth but the chances are that you already have the dates. If you have exact dates, places of birth, details of spouses and children I would appreciate the information to update my records please.

If you know anyone with the 1841 Census for Wexford maybe we could find Michael still living with his parents and siblings.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline jeangs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, rcuser,

Not sure if you are still monitoring this thread, but it's worth a try. 

My grandmother is a Rossiter, and your Nicholas Joseph Rossiter (b. 1809, married to Lucy Waddick) is my GGGGrandfather.   (We are descended through their son, Michael, married to Alice O'Drain.) 

I have recently gotten very useful information from another distant cousin regarding Nicholas and Lucy's descendants, and between my family info and hers we have a fairly complete picture.   If you are still researching this line, I would be happy to share info.   

Since I will be travelling to Ireland this summer, including Wexford, I am most interested to find out if you have learned any information about Nicholas's or Lucy's place of birth, their marriage record, any emigration information, or any information about their parents.  I would be most grateful if you could help me connect any more of the many dots in this picture. 

Thank you, Jean 

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Thanks for your post and PM. I'd be quite happy to share info.

As for Nichoas and Lucy I only know that they were from Wexford but that could be either County Wexford or the town of Wexford. If we could get a date and place for their marriage it would hopefully tell us the parish that Lucy was from.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

rcuser