Author Topic: 1940 USA census due when?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1940 USA census due when?
« on: Wednesday 02 January 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
We are spoilt with the great resource of the censuses of early 20th century.  I wonder when the 1940 one will be available? After 2010 I suppose.

I am stuck on one family that I have fair bit of information but cannot bring forward from 1930. They married and emigrated from Dublin settling in Brooklynn.  They even revisited Dublin with two young daughters in 1929.   The passenger lists are a great resource and available for this time period.  Am I correct in thinking marriage records for c. 1940's are not available?  The girls  would have name change if married and still about today.  I am sure there were other children that might be easier to trace if boys.  Would there be any point in looking at USA birth records for 1930's with a common surname (Daly).

Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 USA census due when?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that got posted too soon!  I was going to say that I hope that the USA branch will some day come and find us.  Perhaps they have made the links back to the gr gr grandparents grave already and we did not realise it... ships in the night!
There is a nice tradition in Jewish culture of placing a stone on the grave.  When I found to my delight the grave of the gr gr gr parents, I wondered how long it was since some other family member had visited. 

New year greetings to all rootchatters everywhere! :)

Anne
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello! The respective US censuses are cleared and open for public examination 72 years after the date of the census. Birth records and marriage records are in the province of the respective state, county, or city. It varies greatly, but some information is available on line. Also, you might want to check the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindnesses web-site to see if a volunteer is in your specific area and can do look-ups for you. (Are you looking for them in Brooklyn?) <www raogk com> link broken  Happy hunting! Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
The rule on getting marriage certificates from New York is as follows:

Uncertified marriage certificate copies are available if they are 50 years old or older, and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased. The 50 year requirement is waived if the person requesting the copy is a direct-line ancestor and supplies proof of the death of the bride and groom.

It costs more to order the certificate if you're searching a wider time frame, so it pays to have it narrowed down to within 3 years. 

If you've been able to figure out when any of these people passed away, an obituary might give you some clues on who was living where.   City directories might also be a helpful resource, since you know where they were as of 1930.  www raogk org link broken(not .com) is a good place to look for help.