Author Topic: Death/inquest query 1853 Wolverhampton  (Read 838 times)

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Death/inquest query 1853 Wolverhampton
« on: Thursday 03 January 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have the death certificate of my ggggrandfather Thomas Horton. It says that he was found dead in Church Lane Wolverhampton (sub-district West Wolverhampton) on 13 June 1853, aged 35. The strange thing is, though, that his death was not registered until 17 August of that year, the informant being the coroner. Does anyone know how unusual this is, and why the delay might have been so long? I thought there was a legal requirement to register a death within a certain number of days. I wonder if there is a mistake on the certificate.

Does anyone have access to burial records for that year? On the record his middle name might be given as Vincent.

Thanks
clarke, sutton; shifnal wellington market drayton potteries
lowe, fletcher, bradburn; priorslee lilleshall donnington
horton; wolverhampton
betteley; shropshire and staffordshire

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Death/inquest query 1853 Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 08 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Brianthecow

The death wouldn't be registered until after the postmortem/inquest hearing which is why it took 2 months - I think there is another post on here somewhere about exactly the same thing but it was over a year before the death was registered on that one

What was Thomas's profession and do you know who his parents were? - I also have Hortons in my tree from Wolverhmpton

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /