Author Topic: Margaret MCINTYRE  (Read 5607 times)

Offline CAROLYNDERRY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret MCINTYRE
« on: Saturday 05 January 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DETAILS OF MARGARET MCINTYRE. I DO NOT HAVE A DATE OF BIRTH FOR HER. HAVE GOT A COUPLE OF BIRTH CERTS BUT NOT CORRECT ONES. MY MARGARET WAS MARRIED TO ALEXANDER ANDERSON IN DUFFUS ON 1/05/1828 AND DIED IN ELGIN 18/06/1884. I ALSO HAVE A DISCREPANCY OF WHO HER FATHER WAS HUGH/DONALD CAN ANYONE HELP?

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: MARGARET MCINTYRE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

What does it say for her father's name on her death cert ? Have you found her parent's marriage ?

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline CAROLYNDERRY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret MCINTYRE
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 08 00:10 GMT (UK) »
hi

thanks for replying

i have been unable to find a marriage certificate for her parents

on her death certificate it says that fathers name is donald mcintyre and mother elspet james

but everytime i have inputted this info i have been unable to match them up. i was able to find a birth certificate which i thought fitted but this gave the parents as hugh mcintyre and elspet fraser. this put margarets birth at 19/10/1803 which again fits but i'm not sure. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

she was married at cummingston in 1828 marriage certificate gives no parental info

many thanks

carolyn

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolynn

Yes can see your problem. Have found the record you mean with Hugh and Elspeth. One possible explanation for her baptism not being there is that her family belonged to a secessionist church i.e. non Church of Scotland as it is only C of s baptism OPRs that are on Scotland's People. Given the part oif Scotland she was from secessionist I think is likely, possibly free church , presbyterian or roman catholic.

I think it would be worth you approaching the National Archives Scotland who do hold the secessionst church records and asking them for advice. They will do simple searches for you by email if you can be reasonably accurate about the year and place of birth. You could use her death certificate age as a starter for 10. It might not be 100% accurate but will give you right ballpark.

You can contact them at http://www.nas.gov.uk/

Another route to try is the Moray Libindex - http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

hope this helps

Ann

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline CAROLYNDERRY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 08 12:19 GMT (UK) »
hi ann

i have tried moray libindx but no luck there either

thanks for the info and i shall certainly try http://www.nas.gov.uk/

thanks again

carolyn

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 08 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Carolyn, there is no point in looking for a birth certificate, because she was born before the start of civil registration in 1855. There is no such thing as a birth certificate before this date. For the same reason, there is no such thing as a marriage certificate either; there are only records of proclamations of banns from the parish registers, which seldom contain details of parents.

You have a death certificate which gives her parents' names as Donald McIntyre and Elspet James. Who was the informant? If it was a close relative, then it is likely to be correct.

Just because the only baptism in the index at roughly the right date in Forres is that of the daughter of Hugh McIntyre and Elspet Fraser does not mean that she has anything to do with your Margaret. The baptism registers are incomplete, and the chances are that your Margaret's baptism was either not recorded, or that the record did not survive. Her parents may also have belonged to another denomination, whose records are not included in the indexed records.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.