Author Topic: Peninsular War.  (Read 3557 times)

Offline tassiedevil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Welsh & Proud
    • View Profile
Peninsular War.
« on: Sunday 28 March 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find if there is a site that lists soldiers that fought in the Peninsular War. I am only interested in the Welsh soldiers.

All I have is the surname of WILIAMS. I have spent many hours of searching the net, but am unable to come up with anything.

Here in Oz we have an online site for the Aussie soldiers who fought,,but can't seem to find anything similar in Britain.....except for the ones who received VC's or were killed in action. Does Britain or Wales have a War Memorial site which can be viewed online?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Tassie :)
Williams, Anglesey and Holywell
Steven , Glasgow
Liddell, Paisley Abbey,Scotland
Lawson, Glasgow
Fitzsimons, Toronto & Glasgow

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re:Peninsular War.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 04 08:46 BST (UK) »
Morning Tassie,
the army record office at Kew may be able to help. They were most helpful with my inquiry about my John Williams who fought in the Boer war. The main problem is that the archives were bombed in WWII so most records up to and including WWI were destroyed. Alternatively, if you know which regiment he was in, you could contact the regiment archive/museum directly.

Aprt from trying the obvious regiments such as south wales borderers, Royal Welch (! spelling) Fusilers and the Regiment of Wales, try also the Black Watch. There were several Welshmen who served there. The Welsh Guards regiment was only formed in 1915, so not of interest to you.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline tassiedevil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Welsh & Proud
    • View Profile
Re:Peninsular War.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 04 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks D ......I didn't realise the records office was bombed during the war.
I will give the others you mentioned a try.

Thanks again , Tassie  :)
Williams, Anglesey and Holywell
Steven , Glasgow
Liddell, Paisley Abbey,Scotland
Lawson, Glasgow
Fitzsimons, Toronto & Glasgow