Author Topic: Would this have been possible?? New theory Update Please read.  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would this have been possible?? New theory Update Please read.
« on: Sunday 06 January 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate for my grandparent's in the Pro. Cathedral Dublin.  They married in Feb. 1904.  The witnesses are given as James, her brother and Lilly who I have on the 1911 Dublin census as Jamese's daughter. Lilly's age is given as 16 years on the census  which would make her 9yrs old  if she was the "Lilly" who acted as witness to the wedding.  Would it have been possible to have a nine year old witness to a wedding way back then?  I seem to recall  been told girls as young as fourteen could be legally married in Ireland then! I have not come across any other "Lilly" during my research.
Bridget x
 I have had second thoughts regarding the above query ! I don't know what possessed me to think a nine year old girl could act as a witness to a wedding! Ah fellow researchers, does not this give you an indication of how desperate I have become? LOL  Bear with me a mo while I get my act together and offer up my latest theory! Right, My Nan Julia Lawlor married a Patrick Lawlor (no relation 1904. (now pulling my hair out.)  I suspect as is the custom both bride and groom would each have a choice of witness. So, if my Nan choose her brother James as shown on the marriage certificate would it not be a possibility that her future husband Patrick would have a sister also named Lily Lawlor who he choose as his witness? (Now no hair left to pull)  Ah, if only I could now find an older Lily Lawlor to fit the bill!  All suggestions welcome no matter how derogatory!   Am I losing the plot, be honest LOL     Bridget x
Lalor/Lawlors in Co.Kilkenny
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois
Lawlors and Hennessy in Dublin

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Would this have been possible??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 08 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bridget x,

Click here to read an article about Witnesses at Weddings on the Hertfordshire genealogy website. www.weddingchaos.co.uk says that witnesses may be relatives, friends or even colleagues. They must be able to speak and understand English. Although there is no legal age limit to a witness, many civil ceremony attendances would prefer that the witnesses are 18 years or over. If one of your witnesses is under 18, they might ask that you provide an extra witness. I doubt that the situation was all that different in Dublin in 1911.

Christopher

Offline Bridget x

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Would this have been possible??
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 08 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Christopher to the rescue once again!  Is there anything you don't know? lol.  Thanks yet again, I will check the site out.  Bridget x
Lalor/Lawlors in Co.Kilkenny
Hensey/Hennessy in Laois
Lawlors and Hennessy in Dublin