Author Topic: Kerr & Co, Greenock  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Sabu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kerr & Co, Greenock
« on: Monday 07 January 08 04:05 GMT (UK) »
After many months of searching and with the superb help from other Rootschat members my task has grown by a factor of 10. Archibald Kerr died in 1808 and settlement of his claim against Campbell Ruthven and Lindsay was not until much later. Records show that an Archibald Kerr and his brother John operated substantial businesses in Greenock and Newfoundland. Again after much legal jiggery pokery and doubtful dealings a new co of Kerr and Co sprung up. Are they the same Archibald and John as mine and was it Robert Kerr, John's son who became a sugar dealer owner of the Glebe Refinery in Ker St. Kerr & Co in Newfoundland became a substantial ship owner even with their own house flag. Can anyone help me identify who Archibald and John were.
My Archibald born around 1762, John 1770 and Robert 1819. The key is in the parents. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.
Kerr, Cannon, Antrobus, Clark, McLean, McInroy, Jackson, McLeod.
All in the Greenock area from 1790 on.

Offline dekaup

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kerr & Co, Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 07:20 BST (UK) »
Your post caught my eye as I am seeking information on Kerr & Co., registered Greenock.  I am looking for any connection, and history of, an association with Lyle Shipping and/or Tate and Lyle.