Author Topic: Advice on GRO please.  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Advice on GRO please.
« on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
On Free BMD there is a birth entry for Eliza Fairy Mar Q 1852 Huntingdon.

Sometime ago I looked at the entry on Ancestry and decided it might be Elisha] Fairy who later died Sept Q 1854 in Lutterworth. (Free BMD has checked the entry and now has both names printed for the same entry.)

I wrote to the GRO explaining that there was some comfusion over the entry and gave the parents of Elisha explaining that IF the parents were correct I would like the cert.

They have sent the Cert for a second Elisha born to that family ??? in 1862! Unfortunately I already had the 2nd Elisha! The first Elisha was born & died between censii but I know the family was in Pailton because another son was born 1853 and I have the Cert!.

What are my chances of redress from the GRO??

Any hints/advice very welcome!
Cheers
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on GRO please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dale:

I would try telephoning them ( I don't have the number to hand but there is one on the GRO compliment slip or the confirmation of order form).  I had a query about the late arrival of a certificate last year and the lady I spoke to was most helpful, very understanding and no "call centre" attitude at all.

Good luck.

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marlene

If you look at the full index on Ancestry (there is no scan shown on freebdm for this item) it is definitely Elisha Huntington 3B 222 - I assume that is your note on FreeBDM

Meanwhile, I don't know the GRO rules, but I would certainly contact them & advise that they checked and supplied an incorrect item - and include the correct name & reference number for your Elisha, as originally supplied.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:41 GMT (UK) »
If you specified March quarter 1852 parents x and y and they sent you an 1862 cert with parents x and y then they haven't got a leg to stand on. But if you ordered it by letter rather than online it might depend on your precise wording

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Gidday
I thought you'd be busy with Aust/India cricket fiasco!

I explained the dilemna of the Eliza v Elisha and gave the dates as per Free BMD. Unfortunately where you have the opportunity online to elaborate I mentioned the 2nd Elisha!

BUT it was clearly HUNTS and not B'ham that I wanted!

Happy New Year!
MARLENE
Another Grumpy Fairy!
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Do let us know the outcome - hopefully it will be good  :)

Trish

PS Last time I watched cricket was Eng/Oz Centenary test 1977 - in the days when cricket was a game enjoyed by 2 teams and thousands of spectators.

How we can accept such nonsense as the news headline of the day is beyond my understanding. We would chastise our children for behaving this way.

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I agree Trish! it reminds me of the comment made about "gentlemen of the Air Force" with which my father used to tease his sailor brothers!
No gentlemen on the sports field these days!

Mind you I'm biased - there's no love lost between Kiwis and Aussies in sport, whatever the code!

Professionalism - bah humbug!
Cheers
Marlene heading for bed!