Author Topic: Advice needed on Hines? family emigrating to Sydney please!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Advice needed on Hines? family emigrating to Sydney please!
« on: Tuesday 04 January 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, iv been trying to trace an Edith Fulford born in 1898 in Shirebrook, West Riding Yorkshire who moved to Oz sometime between 1948 - 1960 but more likely to be early on in that period than late.
I have an address where they lived in Australia in 1950s/60s (i think):

59 Balaclava Road, Eastwood, Nr Sydney, New South Wales.

this house still exists.
I also have letters and photos:
We have names of all the people on the photos but are not 100% about who they are in relation to each other.
The people on the photos are Edith (the elder) b.1898, Edith the younger, a girl called Sharon who looks agewise like she's Edith (the younger)'s daughter. I have other photos of more girls - they all look the right age to be sisters - but you never know...If that is the case then Sharon's sisters would be Christine, Ann and Judith. Christine's the eldest, then Sharon, then Judith. I also have a photo of all of them: Christine, Ann, Sharon, Judith, Edith (younger) with a baby (about 2yrs) sat on her knee - (Edith elder had prob died by this time). This baby is Susanne but whether she is Edith (younger)'s or Christine's is anybody's guess!

Two of the photos say 1959 on the back - although one of the dates has been altered to 69. The three sisters Christine, Sharon and Judith look about 12,10 and 8yrs respectively.

In addition I have info on Edith (elder) mum and dad back in England:
Ediths mum and dad were Harriet Woodcock and James William Fulford (goes under name of William/Bill more often than james). Harriet and James were both born in 1874 in Rotherham and Darfield (West Riding Yorkshire) respectively.

Edith wanted to take my mum (Edith's sister's daughter) with her cos APPARENTLY - she couldnt have children of her own - but of course my mums mum wouldnt let her. Thats how i know they moved after 1948 cos thats when my mum was born.

Anyway, Edith married someone called Bob in England, they then moved and had a child (not necessarily ediths) called Edith (although its a coincidence with the name!) born in Sydney probably. They wouldve had some more kids out there aswell.

Obviously to find Ediths decendants i needed to know Bobs surname to have any kind of chance! Someone on rootschat has found 2 possible marriages to an edith fulford around the right time and place. From that i have am leaning towards one inparticular who my family say sounds very vaguely familiar....

I was wondering what the next step would be!
I have an address, photos, letters and now a possible surname for ediths husband...what else do i need?!
Was wondering if electoral rolls in Oz would be of any help so i could find out who was living at that address in the 50s so i could confirm the name???
Do i look for him on naa.gov.au??
Any other ideas?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on Hines? family emigrating to Sydney please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

Yes, the electoral roll will help.  As the address can be checked to see who was living there.
Next time I go to the state library will check for you.

Was it assisted immigration?  You can check the online database just use a keyword search with either surname, edith and assisted immigration and see if you get any hits.

Cheers
Genni

PM - 8th January 2005 - The answer.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan