Author Topic: HAYES IN ARMAGH  (Read 5610 times)

Offline mhayes81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HAYES IN ARMAGH
« on: Tuesday 04 January 05 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I've been working on my family history for some time now and have traced my family roots to the County of Armagh. I live in Canada (Emily Township, Ontario) and I was wondering if anyone could help me find any information on Hayes and Best families in the County of Armagh before 1845. Specificaly names like David Best and Robert Hayes. All my Irish ancestors were farmers.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: HAYES IN ARMAGH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Michael,

A very big welcome to RootsChat - I hope you find us of some help in your research.

Do you have any dates for David Best or Robert Hayes, or what details about them do you know so far (or should I say - what information whould you like to find out about them?).

Trystan :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline mhayes81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the big hello!

I know that Robert Hayes was born in Armagh between 1818-1821 and I do believe that his father was also called Robert. I know where Robert is burried (Emily Presbyterian Cemetery in Emily Township, Ontario). That is also where David Best was burried. David and his cousin (also named David) immigrated to Canada before 1820 and they were also from Armagh, but according to family stories the Best family came to Armagh with King William from Germany (or within that region) around 1690.

I am trying to fill in my family tree, so realy what I'm looking for are names and dates. I don't know anything about my family in Ireland. I think the Hayes family may have known the Bests prior to their immigration to Ontario, because Robert Hayes married a Best and received some Best land in Emily.

thank you for your time,
- Michael

Offline mhayes81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who can help me out?

If you need more information just ask.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,

I have been looking at the 1864 Griffiths Valuations for Co. Armagh. There are families named Hayes in many parts of the county. The only Robert Hayes appeared in the Maghnavery, Kilclooney area of the county. In case Maghnavery was not the area in which Robert was born I am listing the other areas where I noticed families named Hayes - Ballymyre, Derrynoose, Keady, Killevy, Killyman, Kilmore, Lisnadill, Loughgall, Loughgilly and Newtownhamilton.

You have not mentioned any common Christian names in the family but you may spot some when you look at the Valuations. It would be helpful if you know the religious persuasion of the Hayes family as it may be possible to find church records once the area in which the family lived has been established.

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/lo1876.htm Broken Link

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline mhayes81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Robert Hayes came to Canada before 1845 and he was lsited in the census as a Methodist. He later changed to Prebyterian.

I also have ties with the Best name. David best was the first to clear land in my area (of Ontario Canada) in 1819. The Best lived just outside the city of Armagh.

I dont know exactly where my Hayes roots stem from within Armagh.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
The First Presbyterian Church of Lurgan has a Robert Hayes born to Robert Hays and Jane Kennedy in 1825.  I think the entry says he was born  January 20th, but the entry is at the end of the year for 1825 as if he were baptized in December.  The father was living at Gibson's bridge. 

The couple also had a daughter Ann born in 1827, Margaret born July 4, 1829, Charles, born April 4, 1831, and Mary born in 1836 when the family was living  at Tullynacross. 

There was a Thomas Hayes in Dungannon who married Susan Farfey and had Sarah in 1832 and a Charles whose entry I can not find. 

Offline mhayes81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying! Thats realy kind of you.

That Robert Hayes born to Robert Hayes sounds like the guy! I have a brief record about Robert's father having the name Robert!

That's excellent!