Author Topic: Another difficult to read place name - Gouckhall? -completed  (Read 2163 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Another difficult to read place name - Gouckhall? -completed
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I think this says Gouckhall.  It is in Kirkpatrick Fleming.  Any ideas where it is?
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another difficult to read place name - Gouckhall?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
i googled this and it says its in coldingham, a town and parish in the county of Berwick.  hope this helps

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:42 GMT (UK) »
 ??? It definately says Kirkpatrick-fleming on the birth cert it's on!
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 20:07 GMT (UK) »
its showing that Kirkpatrick-fleming is in dumfries and galloway, berwick isnt too far away maybe they were all one place at one time, ? oh, just a little bit of useless info i know and that is that berwick has been passed from scotland to england and england to scotland about 11 times, there used to be fights over berwick, so therefore this would ty in with your queries perhaps, just a little history i know so your probably right. someone may come along soon and verify this

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/BEW/Coldingham/

This link will take you to some quite detailed info on Coldingham.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

There are household entries to address Gawkhall in Kirkpatrick Fleming in the 1841 Census. You will probably find varying spelling for it: gawkhall/goukhall/gouckhall etc.  Where precisely it was located I can't tell you ~ I always end up cross-eyed from the old maps site  :P

Regards.

Monica

Added: Just in case it helps with the refs:  Enumeration District: 8 Folio: 8 Page: 8
On the same page are the following place names: Outerlands and Craigshaws
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Gowkhall is not marked on the modern OS map, but if you search for Waterbeck on streetmap

(http://www.streetmap.co.uk)

then go slightly south-east of the church, it is where the bridge is marked "95" - the grid reference is 325045,577385 or thereabouts

The old maps site shows it clearly in 1862, 1900 and 1952 as Gowkhall Bridge and Gowkhill Pool.  Unfortunately Google Earth does not have good enough resolution just yet.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
 :)  That has to be the place, thank you both.  Some one from my Palmer family lived at Goukhall, and their housekeeper was from my  Bell family who lived at Dockenflat near Waterbeck.