Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 127890 times)

Offline john holden

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 02 September 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy hows your Colin and to all the great people who lived in the best place in the NorthWest
My Name is John Holden  I also lived in the park at 84 Broardmere drive it is good to hear all the experiences you all had cheers

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 11 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the Prefabs, but the "Parkside experimental Centre" off Sheepsfoot Lane was experimental ( in the early 1970s when I did a short stint there, at least ) in that groups of primary children were brought in each day from different Schools for a couple of weeks at a time, and worked with staff from the centre and their own schools together, as "Teams"on fairly free-form cross-subject projects round a basic theme, culminating in a display /exhibition at the end of the time, showing all the work. I seem to recall that parents may have been invited to this. Each team was based in one or two of the rooms grouped round courtyards. I seem to remember some flowerbeds, and a lot of use made of the Hall and Gardens. I think the Head then may have been called Miss Langden or Longden? I had the impression that the Schools invoved were deliberately socially diverse
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mrbothered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 10 February 11 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow, haven't been here for a while but then a post from John and a PM from the lad we used to live next door to, brilliant. I have just got in from a night shift but I recently got hold of a school photo taken at Heaton Park Primary school, around 1960. I'm on it and I recognise many of the other kids. I will try and post it later.
Thanks all.

Offline mrbothered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 10 February 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't do. Even if I scan the pic at the lowest resolution and crop the outside edges off it's too big. The forum limit of 500K is way too low. The smallest I can get the file size and still have it decent is 1.6M. If anybody would like to see it PM me and I'll send it you.

Edit, pic may be here soon. By the way, I am the hansom little devil on the front row left.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 10 February 11 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't do. Even if I scan the pic at the lowest resolution and crop the outside edges off it's too big. The forum limit of 500K is way too low. The smallest I can get the file size and still have it decent is 1.6M. If anybody would like to see it PM me and I'll send it you.

Sent you a PM
Migky  ;)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 10 February 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Photo posted for mrbothered
Migky  ;)

Offline mrbothered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sunday 13 February 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, thank you. The next picture is the same school but my younger brothers class which was the year below mine, same year. If anybody recognises themselves in here please let us know.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Second image from mrbothered
Migky  ;)

Offline mikeyr62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 20 February 11 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Having wandered off-topic on the Wedding Photo for Kooky thread, thought I had better start again here.

Around the end of WW2, my mum and her parents moved, or were moved, into the 'temporary' prefab housing built in the grounds of Heaton Park. Grandad was still there when he died in 1960!

Does anyone have photos of the prefab estates there, or has anyone encountered websites with references to the prefabs? I couldn't see anything on the Manchester Image Collection, or on Heaton Park's own website apart from a short mention. I have fond memories of visiting Grandad in his prefab but they are a bit hazy as I was only 4 when he died. 

It's as if the prefabs never existed, yet hundreds of people must have lived there. Would be delighted if anyone has any memories of them to share.

:) Barbara

I don't have pictures of the prefab estate on Heaton Park unfortunately, BUT I do know that my aunt and uncle - RICHARD TAPLEY SLACK and HILDA SLACK (both now long gone) lived there after they married towards the end of WW2.

I also think that they still lived there when their first child was born.

Shortly after this they moved to Northern Moor, Wythenshaw and stayed there in the same house on Healey Close until my uncle died in 1994.

Mike  :)
Tapley - London; Bedfordshire; Blackpool and Fylde Coast; Manchester; Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

McCaffrey/Caffrey - County Armagh

Murphy - Hamilton, Lanarkshire

Slack - Lancashire

Cowell/Hornby - Fleetwood; Fylde Coast

Robinson - Manchester

Stuart - Scotland; Runcorn and beyond

Lorking - Essex and beyond