Author Topic: Poor response to subjects  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Poor response to subjects
« on: Wednesday 05 January 05 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I joined this site a couple of months ago, and think that it is an excellent site, or could be if members were to participate a bit more.  What surprises me is the poor response by members to many of the topics.  ???

I can see that many people view the topics but they don't respond. This is a shame as members are asking for help and get no reply. I have posted topics and have got no respose what so ever. I'm beginning to wonder now if I am wasting my time.  :-\

Linda
Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor response to subjects
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I have just looked through your previous postings and would assume that the only reason you have had no reply is because there is nobody who has, or has convenient access to, the information you require to take you that one step further with that particular family.  It always gets that little bit more difficult once you get back to the early 1800s.

There was a discussion on here recently regarding the viewing of posts/posting replies which highlighted the fact that often people do search for things but don't always post a response if it is negative.  Is it better to post a negative response saying I have searched so & so but found nothing or is it better to leave it and let somebody else have a go in case you have missed something?  A topic with no replies is likely to gain more notice that a topic with one reply because one might ignore it thinking that it has already been answered? :-\ :-\ :-\

Good luck

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hope you get better responses soon ...... I always try to answer where I can .... but must admit I tend to stick to areas I am familiar with !  Sorry I am not going to be much help with Scotland ... bit if you are looking in Yorkshire - I'll have a go !

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Linton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway, but I'm afraid that's not much help.

Regards

Linda  8)

Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

casalguidi has already said what I wanted to say, so just an amendment.....

sometimes nothing happens for a while because of lack of resources, but then a new CD gets published, or somebody buys or gets a present of a CD for an area that hasn't had a lot of support until then, or someone finds a new web-site with data from that area,  and suddenly there is a spate of answers to queries from that region.

So, No, you are not wasting your time, because it NOT an unwillingness to help, but some things just take longer ....

good luck !
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Linton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bob

Linda