Author Topic: Jeffers  (Read 1637 times)

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jeffers
« on: Wednesday 16 January 08 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for Matthew Jeffers believed to been born about 1816 in Co. Tyrone , his son Joseph was born 1842 and later moved to Liverpool, his marriage certificate states that his father Matthew was a Farmer. Any information gladly received. Thanks.
Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 12:00 GMT (UK) »
As civil registration of births started 1864 (along with deaths & Catholic marriages) and Protestant marriages from 1845 you will need to look for church records (if they still exist) but in order to do so you would need to know where in Co. Tyrone the family lived (parish if not actual townland).
Do you know when Joseph Jeffers moved to Liverpool? have you searched for other Jeffers born in Ireland in the area near him? If father Matthew Jeffers was a farmer there's a chance he might be listed in Griffith's Valuation.

Note: just had a quick look and can't see a Matthew Jeffers listed but there are a few Jeffers listed:
www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey, Joseph moved to Liverpool sometime in the 1860's I believe, as I can't find him on the 1861 Census, his marriage to Catherine Dunlevy in 1869 was at St. Luke, Liverpool,  his father is named as Matthew, a farmer. Joseph's birthplace in the 1871 Census given as Ireland.  Contact with a Jeffers family in Australia suggest Jeffers lived in Co. Tyrone, but looking at the link you provided the only Matthew listed in Ulster is in Lisnadil Parish, Armagh. Will have to chase this up. Many Thanks, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Not everyone is listed in Griffith's (for example, maybe Matthew and family were living with his parents)  but you do need more information to start researching in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, will take note of that.
Betteridge, Liverpool,