Author Topic: Broadband keeps cutting out  (Read 7900 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband keeps cutting out
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Tried that - Downside. No go, but thanks for sticking with it.

I've just reinstated it but tried changing the timescale from 20 mins to 59 mins. I'll see if that makes a difference i.e. gives me longer before it cuts out. If that fails, apart from screaming obscenities from the rooftop, I'll ring the bu--ers and see if I can get them to do something about it. I just feel sure that they'll start talking techno speak to me and it'll end up being my fault!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just reinstated it but tried changing the timescale from 20 mins to 59 mins.

Surely it should be deselected or unchecked - whatever?

Both those idle options should be unchecked:-

Disconnect if idle [20] minutes
Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed

If it continues to disconnect, there may be a program trying to update itself on an alternative connection. Check for any software that may be doing this. Also, do you notice if the problem occurs when opening Outlook Express?

I guess you will need to investigate these update things if all else fails to resolve the problem.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 January 08 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I googled Karoo and there was a lot of input from people with just the same problem as you - cutting out, being told it was the pc. Seems to be very common with Karoo.

There is also a users group.  http://karooforums.net/index.php

I went back to get the first link but can't find it.   I'll keep on trying.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 January 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
This is the one I first found.  It's about broadband speed but it's quite interesting.  There's a lot of very unhappy people about with this isp.

http://www.broadband-guide.org.uk/providers/karoo-broadband.html
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 January 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow Silvery, I knew Karoo was unpopular but I didn't realise how unpopular. Most of the comments on that link are very damning. In a way, it makes me feel a bit better that others also consider Karoo's Customer Service to be abysmal. They are rude and it's probably because they know there's nothing we can do about it. They make no allowances for anyone - like myself - who is not 'up' on all the jargon and merely treat you as if you're getting in the way of their next cup of tea.

There was an 'item' about karoo's monopoly in the area on our local area TV prog 'Look North' a few months back and I thought that we might get somewhere at last but all that happened is they had a smug 'spokeswoman' telling us that they didn't have a monopoly (which, incidentally, I also thought was either against the law or contrary to human rights or something) because they weren't stopping other companies coming into the area. Apparently these other companies just choose not to - nothing to do with the fact that the telephone system is run by a subsidiary of Karoo and they obviously make it uneconomical for another company to set up.

I often wondered if it happened to have anything to do with the fact that a certain MP for Hull was also the Deputy PM. Who knows? The local Council only recently sold their shares in the company which started out life as a department of the Council and then went public.

It makes my blood boil and it's time something was done about it.

When I was on dial up I was with Tiscali and I never had any trouble with them. It really gets me hopping mad when I see Tiscali ads for broadband for £6 something a month when I'm paying 3 times that for a rubbish service.

Rant over - back to the problem at hand.

I'm conducting experiments at the moment. Last time I was connected, I managed just over an hour - and disconnected voluntarily as it was time for tea!!

Downside - Thanks once again. I went back in and did what you said, and - fingers crossed - it might be working. Either that or the damn thing's toying with me!

I'll let you know if the good news continues....

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 January 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The good news, Jill - it's not you! The bad news - well, you know that...

How long are you tied up to Karoo? Could you switch?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 January 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Meles,

See earlier rant! No choice available in the Hull area - and I don't live in Hull! It affects quite a large area.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 January 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes - you have a unique telecom system there, don't you? Hmm... Stuck for a solution....

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 January 08 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't think there is one!

Unless of course the workers unite and revolt....

Jill
HELP!!!