Author Topic: Smallpox in the 1830`s  (Read 3658 times)

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Smallpox in the 1830`s
« on: Wednesday 05 January 05 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, l wonder if someone could give me some advice?

My gggrandfather William SALISBURY died of smallpox on 17th April 1838 in Bury St Edmunds, but l cannot find a burial record for him! l have been told that because he had smallpox he may have been in a workhouse??, the informant on the death cert is a Benjamin Cook a hosier living at the Butter market, Bury st Edmunds, William was a shoemaker, where on the cert it says date and place of death there is just the date no location?.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

Regards
Robert Salisbury
West Sussex

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Smallpox in the 1830`s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Robert

Workhouses were used as hospitals, so he may well have been taken into one, though most parishes had a "pest house" where people with infectious diseases were treated.

Have you looked for his burial in all the BSE parishes?  I suppose it is possible if there was a major epidemic, that he could have ended up in a mass grave, but a whole family of my ancestors died of smallpox and were buried in their local churchyard.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Smallpox in the 1830`s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 05 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick

Thanks for the advice, l have checked the St mary`s and St james parish`s in bury but nothing shows up, he may well have been buried outside of bury? it`s no help not knowing in which parish/area William was born!, l have his marriage entry in Timworth and it says " of this parish " but can find nothing matching in baptism records 1800-1805......sorry l`m going on.

Once again thanks for your help

Regards
Robert