Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149616 times)

Offline mustardgeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #225 on: Sunday 03 June 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on the RAOB that would have been at Brittania Lodge, Leigh, Lancashire in 1959. They are referenced in the newspaper acknowledgments for my great grandmother.

I am told my grandfather James Ainsworth who was a miner at Bickershaw Colliery and lived at Plank Lane was a member of the "Buffs". Anyway that I can verify that ?

Paul

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 02:12 BST (UK) »
My mums great uncle William Craig of Hull who owned a pub (the crown and Anchor), in the newspaper it said he was a prominant member and at his funeral around 80 members were present and burial service of the order was read by Bro. H jenkinson, R.O.H.

Here is a photo of his funeral from newspaper:

Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline jILLh1941

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Thursday 20 September 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Buff for 40 years. He was Knight of Merit and held office in the Provincial Grand Lodge for 17 years. At one time was Deputy Provincial Grand Prima.  He was a regular attendant at the Royal Berkshire, Crown of Reading and Pride of Reading.  (all this information came from his obituary) He lived in Reading from about 1912 where he died in 1933 aged 79.  We have tried to obtain further info from the R.A.O.B but to no avail.  We have been trying to trace his involvement in the R.A.O.B prior to him being at Reading but again to no avail. Any suggestions as to how we can find this out would  most gratefully received. Thank you. Jill

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Friday 21 September 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
I believe my father and one of his brothers were in the Basingstoke branch, is there any way of finding out more info please?

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Friday 21 September 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for more information on the RAOB that would have been at Brittania Lodge, Leigh, Lancashire in 1959. They are referenced in the newspaper acknowledgments for my great grandmother.

I am told my grandfather James Ainsworth who was a miner at Bickershaw Colliery and lived at Plank Lane was a member of the "Buffs". Anyway that I can verify that ?

Paul

Hi Paul
I have checked a 1959 directory it does include the Britannia lodge 3024. It was in the South Central Province and met at the Britannia Hotel, Plank Lane Leigh. Wed evenings. The Lodge closed prior to 1987 & the Province does not have a Website that I could direct you to  :-[ Sorry I can't help much more
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Friday 21 September 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
My mums great uncle William Craig of Hull who owned a pub (the crown and Anchor), in the newspaper it said he was a prominant member and at his funeral around 80 members were present and burial service of the order was read by Bro. H jenkinson, R.O.H.

Here is a photo of his funeral from newspaper:

Hi
Do you know the name of the Lodge? If not what year did he Die? I can see if a Lodge used his Hotel to meet. You could also try Contacting someone from the Hull Province http://raobhullprovince.co.uk/
I can see that there were a lot of members from your pic. The fact the Brothers are walking with the Hearse would suggest he had a Buffalo Funeral
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Friday 21 September 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Buff for 40 years. He was Knight of Merit and held office in the Provincial Grand Lodge for 17 years. At one time was Deputy Provincial Grand Prima.  He was a regular attendant at the Royal Berkshire, Crown of Reading and Pride of Reading.  (all this information came from his obituary) He lived in Reading from about 1912 where he died in 1933 aged 79.  We have tried to obtain further info from the R.A.O.B but to no avail.  We have been trying to trace his involvement in the R.A.O.B prior to him being at Reading but again to no avail. Any suggestions as to how we can find this out would  most gratefully received. Thank you. Jill

hi Jill
I have looked and cant find a website for the Reading Province. Where was he living before Reading? that might give a clue as some Provinces have got a good history on their pages & what was his name?
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Friday 21 September 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
I believe my father and one of his brothers were in the Basingstoke branch, is there any way of finding out more info please?

Salty
Hi Salty
Sorry I cant find a website for Basingstoke & District Province
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Saturday 22 September 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying Den.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg