Author Topic: UK to Chile in 1890s*COMPLETED*  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Beppy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
UK to Chile in 1890s*COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 22 January 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in knowing why emigrants went to Chile from the UK in the 1890s? I have a mystery... Ellen May FRASER was born in Chile in 1899. In 1917 she gave birth [no father] to Victor Joseph FRASER in Sydney, Australia. The child was adopted out and it was said that her father [maybe Joseph] was with her at the birth and paid maintenance to the adopting family for a while.

The family would like to know their heritage so I'd like to have some hints on Chilean genealogy.

I did find in the UK 1881 census at York a Joseph FRAZIER b. in Chile in 1825 [seaman] with a young wife and child also Joseph [b.1871] Interesting!

Any suggestions?

Beth
SCOTLAND: Robertson, Graham, Park, McPherson, McNab, Wilkinson
LINCOLNSHIRE: Cash, Desforges
SURREY: Cash, Wynn
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Wynn
WALES: Wynn
SUSSEX: Stammers, Ward
CORNWALL: Caddy, Perry
LANCASHIRE: Boardman, Kershaw
WILTSHIRE: Attwood, Minty
SOMERSET: Morgan, Manning, Carver

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK to Chile in 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 08:41 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting too - from LDS:

Elena May Fraser Cavieres  Birth 3 AUG 1894   

Christening:  10 SEP 1894   Tocopilla, Ii-Region, Chile

Parents:
  Father:  Guillermo Fraser 
  Mother:  Doralisa Cavieres de Fraser
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 09:14 GMT (UK) »
There's also a sibling:

Ana Bella Fraser Cavieres     

Birth:  5 MAY 1893   

Christening:  31 MAY 1893   Tocopilla, Ii-Region, Chile

Parents:
  Father:  Guillermo Fraser  Family
  Mother:  Doraliza Cavieres de Fraser 

"Guillermo" is of course the spanish form of William.

Tocopilla was founded around 1870 as a seaport for the nearby silver mines. A number of British miners were employed there.

I don't see a William Fraser in Chile in the "Brits in South America" database http://www.bisa.btinternet.co.uk/mainbody.htm#projects

See also http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/cornishlatin/index.php

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth - I know a tiny, little bit about English immigration to Chile!  In the late 19th Century, the Chilean government had an immigration scheme to attract settlers from Western Europe (primarily Germany, Italy and England).  They offered land in exchange for a commitment of labour of up to six years.  At that time, the government and military were trying to establish the existing national boundaries of the country and pinch a bit more from their neighbours, particularly Bolivia to the north.  They saw the settlers as a quick way to populate these areas and establish them as part of Chile.  I am in Canada and I think the scheme was much like the one operated by the Canadian government in the early 20th Century (we were trying to keep the Americans from fulfilling Manifest Destiny!).  My great-grandfather emigrated from Portsmouth to Chile with his family in 1890 and when that didn't work out, they moved to Canada ten years later.  My great-uncle wrote his memoirs which included some fantastic tales of their life in Chile - including the time my granddad burned their house down!

Chile also had a growing mining industry at this time and many western Europeans emigrated to work and or manage the mines.  The northern port of Antofagasta (which is just south of your IGI record of Tocopilla) was and I think still is a major shipping port to move the ore out of Chile and abroad.  The link to the seaman could indicate he worked on a ship that called at one of these ports.

Now the last link I have relates to the gold rush in California and British Columbia.  Before the Panama Canal was opened, ships travelled from Europe with a stop in Brazil, then round the Cape with another stop in Chile (Valparaiso was another main port), then up the West Coast to San Francisco and maybe even further to Victoria, BC.  Many gold seekers (like my great-great-grandfather) ran out of money along the way.  He managed to make it to San Francisco but many never made it that far.  This would have been a bit earlier than your records, say 1850 - 1860 so I'm not sure it applies to your current research.

Well, that is my 30 second history lesson!  I am sure others know much more about this than I do but maybe it will help to start you off.

Good luck,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 08 04:47 GMT (UK) »
There were also Irish emigrants to Chile.  John Garland and Ambrose O'Higgins were there in the 1760s. www.ireland.com/ancestor/magazine/articles/ir_stham.htm

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 10:53 GMT (UK) »
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/Marriages4B.html
 - marriage of William Fraser, son of the late Robert B. Fraser
 and Dora Cavieres daughter of Valentine Cavieres
Jun 4 1892, at Tocopilla. Recorded in the Liverpool Echo.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beppy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I am just so grateful to you all for your intelligent and carefully researched responses. We are getting closer to knowing more- this is a truly important search for my grandaughter in knowing of her paternal ancestry.

Much appreciated
Beppy
SCOTLAND: Robertson, Graham, Park, McPherson, McNab, Wilkinson
LINCOLNSHIRE: Cash, Desforges
SURREY: Cash, Wynn
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Wynn
WALES: Wynn
SUSSEX: Stammers, Ward
CORNWALL: Caddy, Perry
LANCASHIRE: Boardman, Kershaw
WILTSHIRE: Attwood, Minty
SOMERSET: Morgan, Manning, Carver

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 08 02:15 GMT (UK) »
That was extremely enlightening Lynwen  ;D
I have an ancestor, born in Chili, 1831. He came to Australia, he was a smelter. I always wondered why he and his parents were in Chili  ???
Now I know. No further with his birth details, but now I am enthused to try again.  ;D
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.