Author Topic: where do I start  (Read 2865 times)

Offline gailmarybuchanan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where do I start
« on: Wednesday 23 January 08 08:44 GMT (UK) »
with a lot of help from gadget, I was able to find out the marriage details of my grandparents including my greatgrand parents  of both sides and their witnessess. I have searched the other links that piglet  gave me,  Now I seem to be going around in circles,  ??? I can't seem to find them in any census's anywhere. ???.

They just seem to have vanished,

Can some one please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

gailmarybuchanan
Searching my Father's family,his name,Edward Hay BUCHANAN, D.O.B. 08/01/1928, D.O.D.27/10/1970. Grandmother's name Mary S BUCHANAN nee KINNEY. Grandfather's name William Roberts BUCHANAN Their Date of Marriage 31st Dec 1920. Dad had a brother Willie, & 3 sisters Mary, Cathy, Anne. Their D.O.B'S . I do not know.
Area's searching Glasgow, Scotland.  Father passed away 1970 in Australia. Lost contact details of cousins in 1970. Completing a family tree on Ancestry.com.au.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: where do I start
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you continue replying to the original posts.
A new post here tells us nothing unless we search for your other posts.

You'll get used to it.  Don't panic.   ;D

Everybody will try and help you.
Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 08:55 GMT (UK) »
PS . I should have said, Welcome to RC.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi GMB

It is a good idea to post a reference to your previous thread, so others, apart from Gadget (a dear friend) know what has been found

This is your thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,279617.0.html

You have the grandparents marriage in 1920 details are
By declaration at 4 Minerva Street Glasgow in presence of Edward hay, coal miner and Martha Kinney, provisions saleswoman

William Buchanan, slater, aged 20, 35 young Street, Glasgow - parents - William Buchanan, labourer and Margaret, maiden surname McNee

and

Mary Kinney, bleachfield worker, aged 21, same address. Parents - Thomas Kinney, coal miner and margaret, maiden surname MacCallum

Gadget also found some census information & suggested you may like to download an image.

It is probably a good idea to start to look for each family separately. Census and BDM information is available on Scotlandspeople. It is a "pay to view" site, so it will cost, but not necessarily alot of money to trace the families backwards.  This Census found by Gadget

Greenside Place
Blantyre, Lanarkshire

District - 624 ED 6A Page 4

Thomas Kinney, 28, miner - coal, b. Renfrew
Margaret, 26, b. Lanarkshire
Cathrine, 2,  b. Blantyre
Mary, 1, b. Blantyre
Martha, 1 month,  b. Blantyre

is one year old Mary. Her parents were Thomas Kinney and margaret who probably married c. 1897 (but could be earlier) given the oldest child is 2. It is likely that they married in the county of the bride.

The birth certificate for Mary, or the marriage for her parents will provide the maiden name of Margaret

There is lots of free information around as well, and folks on here can look up some things - but it costs to lookup on scotlandsPeople, so most of that you will have to do yourself. Once you have your family back to pre civil registration, the IGI becomes a source of free birth and marriage information (not as complete as SP but very useful).

We all have different ideas on the next step, my suggestion is to limit your queries to one branch of the family. State what facts you know and whether you are looking for births/marriage/death or census.

I would also suggest you read some of the beginners links threads, plus these two - specific to Scotland and SP
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I did a quick search in Blantyre on SP and couldn't find a birth for mary - but I did find Martha - knowing she was born in 1901 is a help (age 1 month on census night)

Her certificate would also give the mother's maiden name

A search for the surname Kinney in Blantyre 1897-1905 gives 5 results - it would only cost 1 credit to see these 5 names. Alternatively expand the search further to catch any more children that may have been born to this couple in Blantyre. If Mary is not in the list, perhaps her birth was registered elswhere.

A search for Thomas Kinney married to Margaret 1895-1900 returns one only match. Adding Lanark as the county, I still have 1 match

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

I'm not sure which census you can't locate, Gail, but could it be the one I thought might possibly be William:

There's a possible for William on the 1901 aged 10 months but no father at home.

could you access the image?

Ref is

Camlachie, Glasgow, District - 644/2 Ed 13 Page 28

Gadget

If you can't find it, let one of us know and we can put up the details.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail  :)

I notice that you refer to links that piglet gave you. I assume these were by PM as there's no record on your postings.

Can you possibly put these links up so that we can check.

I wish piglet had put them up on the original thread. It confuses the issue otherwise.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: as mentioned on the original thread, exchanging info by Personal Message (except where it concerns living people) should be avoided.  It is confusing and frustrating and leads to unnecessary searching and duplication.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Sticking with the Kinney/Kenny/alt spellings family:

I think that this might be Thomas Kinney in 1891, lodging with a family called King:

Turners buildings, Blantyre, Lanark

District 624 ED 8A Page 5

John King, 28, coal miner, b. Airdrie
Elizabeth, 24, b. Wishaw
Martha, 3, b. Blantyre
Catherine, 2, b. Linlithgow
Helen & margaret, 7 mths, b. Blantyre
Thomas Kenny, lodger, 18, coal miner b. Pollokshaws, Renfrew
James McQuaid, lodger,  17

Gadget