Author Topic: can someone read this address??  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Kevlar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
can someone read this address??
« on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:16 GMT (UK) »
can anyone read this address- i just cant work it out
thanks
kev

Offline Kevlar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: can someone read this address??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:17 GMT (UK) »
and here it is

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Parish - Loughor - ??

Street - Ty Newydd ?? Newydd is 'new' and Ty is 'house' I think.

Bernard

http://swanseabattalion.net/
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Kevlar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I would love to go there, I could not find New street, Newhouse Street on Google maps, so maybe it is no longer there?
Maybe I need a map of Lougher from 1871?
old street maps are hard to find
anyways, heres hoping still and thanks for the input
cheers
kev

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 08 06:21 GMT (UK) »
I could not find New street, Newhouse Street on Google maps, so maybe it is no longer there?

Hi.
carpetzombie, I think it's unlikely Ty Newydd  (New House) would be the name of the street. I think Ty Newydd is likely to be the name for the house or houses on that street . Some streets were not named in those days. For example it  may not be a street as such  , it could be a country lane with not many homes on it and hasn't be named yet, or a field with one home on it etc. There are many reasons for no street address . 

You usually will get a street address on the census if there is one , but if there isn't you will  usually have the names of the houses, or a describing name for the buildings/houses in that column on the census. Ty Newydd was and still is a pretty popular name for people to name their home.

To try and find  where  the street/place was (or maybe still is today) an idea is to look through the previous and following pages on the census to find  some sort of a landmark such as a pub , church  or a mill etc, which are usually marked on the old maps, and to see if there are any nearby streets that have names  I found a few of  of my ancestors homes back in Wales by doing this.

For old maps try http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx, you can view some of them for free online - they have a few for Loughor during the 1870's and onwards

Hope that is of some help
Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 08 20:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a word before Ty Newydd.

It looks like:
Nr Ty Newydd

ie near (the) new houses

Offline Rycroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
is it not fm ty newydd   

Farm ty newydd

pepsicola
Kenyon, Bridge, Whalley, Clayton le Moors, Rochdale.  Holt's Pontypridd, Somerset & Dorset. Evans,Hughes & Williams  Pontypridd Carmarthen. Appleby & Parsons  Somerset & Oxford
Currells & Spencers Hall's & Scott  Northumberland, Durham, North Berwickshire, Hawick

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census Tynewydd is treated as a road/lane/street. Isaac (57yrs) and Mary John live at 1Tynewydd; the preceeding road is numbered dwellings listed as 1 Bwlchmynydd etc. The next road has dwellings numbered 1 Bryn Cottages etc, they being near Bryn Farm, which may still exist. Ty newydd, which means New House, may have been a farm or smallholding. The small word before Ty newydd in 1861 is, I think, 'nr' (near). No obvious pubs, shops nearby in 1871.

Offline loughorboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Carpet Zombie,

The entry you've posted related to 'Nr (i.e. Near) Ty Newydd'. This was the house located near the house called 'Ty Newydd'. Ty Newydd was owned by Phillip John's father Thomas John (born 1778; my g.g.g.g. grandfather).

Ty Newydd was located near the modern day road of Heol Cae Ty Newydd - T'he Field of New House Road' in English, near where Tre Uchaf Primary School now stands.

Hope this helps,

Richard John
John Family of Loughor