Author Topic: St Marys Longfleet Baptisms - Clarke  (Read 3347 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
St Marys Longfleet Baptisms - Clarke
« on: Wednesday 23 January 08 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the baptism registers for St Marys Longfleet from 1833 to 1839 and could possibly lookup three baptisms for me please?

William Branwhite Clarke became curate of St Marys in 1833 and remained (as far as I'm aware) until the family left for Australia in 1839.  The eldest child Mordaunt William Shipley Clarke was born 1833 and may well have been baptised there.  William and his wife Maria Morton Stather married in London in 1832.  They had two daughters born in England before they emigrated.  A third daugther was born in Australia in 1840.  I've been able to trace through Mordaunt and the youngest daughter but would like to know if at all possible the names of his other two daughters.  I know I could purchase his death certificate to confirm them but I'm trying to avoid having to pay c. £11 to get it from NSW.  I've googled him but it can't find any information on his other children.

Any help appreciated.
 ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys Longfleet Baptisms - Clarke
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 March 08 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the NSW transcription agents - the price is cheaper than buying certificates from the register

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Trish

There is some interesting information on google. I found this
http://www.michaelorgan.org.au/clarke3.htm
Mrs Clarke and her three children leave Sydney aboard the brig Jack on 1 January 1842 , not to return until December 1856
So did one child die young? Did they go back to England - I am not having much joy finding them in 1851, but perhaps they are there? With her parents perhaps?
I found this trip - which may be the return - of course no given names
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1856/12/032lah.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 08 14:04 GMT (UK) »

The baptism register for Longfleet 1833-1837 is available on a pay-per-view site  wwwfamilyhistoryonline.net  I've never used it myself but I think the costs are reasonable.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 08 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi nannyjan

I used to use that site alot, but they announced a year ago they were merging with findmypast & I thought they were no longer - so it is nice to see them still there -  I found the prices very reasonable - 8p to check a baptism

You can search for free & the baptism of Mordaunt is definitely there - unfortunately you cannot search by parish, so the girls, if there are among 30 or so other Clarkes - bypassing the males it may cost little to check them all.

Trish

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 08 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Trish and Nanny Jan for the information.  I hadn't thought to look on familyhistoryonline.com.  I ordered William Branwhite Clarke's death certificate a couple of weeks back as was ordering some others.  I think I may consider the Transcription Service in future since $15 is a lot cheaper than $26 although its nice to have the originals.  Wish NSW was like Victoria, so much quicker and cheaper.

Thanks again.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 March 08 00:56 GMT (UK) »
The calendar of correspondence has a few interesting bits, it would appear that one of W B's sisters also went out to Tasmania.  Ahhh, now I'm going to have fun trying to work out which one!

Nicola

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, looks like the Rev William Trollope married Sarah Branwhite in 1825 and then went out to Australia some time after 1834 when Edward Frederick Trollope was born.  Shame it was Tasmania and not Victoria and NSW as I understand the death certificates from that state aren't as helpful.  E F Trollope ended up in Victoria so I shall have a look to see if he died there.

Nicola

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 March 08 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Apart from being cheaper, the transcripts are much quicker than buying certificates as they can be sent by email  8)  I think things are a little slow in Australia at the minute because of the WDYTYA series, but will no doubt speed up again. I usually get my transcripts within a few days of ordering (by email - I have a permanent cc account with the agent that I use).

The Tas archives  use the bdms to 1900 to create the family links data base. They also have an inexpensive, but rather slow, research service.
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/

I also have found the southern cemetery trust records useful
http://www.srct.com.au/search.html

Trish

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 March 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

I wondered why the certificates were taking so long - same thing happens here when WDYTUA is on!!

I'm now chasing Trollope in Tasmania although two of their children ended up in Victoria which is helpful for a change - although the Victoria BMD site appears to be down today since I can't get it to run any searches!  Oh well, have to wait for now.

I may try the Tasmania research service for William Trollope's will unless I can find an alternative route to getting a copy.  For NSW I think I will look at the Transcription Service since the certificates are a little bit expensive!

I just wish I didn't have so many sidelines ending up in Australia, gets a little bit expensive trying to confirm them.  Mind you I do like the death certificates, very useful to say the least!  Wish ours had that much information on.

Thanks again

Nicola