Author Topic: James White, Soldier, 1799  (Read 964 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James White, Soldier, 1799
« on: Friday 25 January 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a soldier named James White who married May Wood at Stirling in 1799 - per OPR.

He was according to the register a Sergeant in the 7th Regiment of Foot.

He possibly had a daughter born in 1799 and a son born in 1814 (Baptism at Falkirk).
Note the word possibly.

Is there anything to suggest Jame's likely age if he had attained the rank of Sergeant?.  Were the 7th Regiment of Foot at Stirling Castle?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Reiver

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James White, Soldier, 1799
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Reiver

I can't tell you whether the 7th Regt was at Stirling or not, but the Soldiers' Documents for men who served at that period are indexed by name in the Catalogue of The National Archives. There is a James White who served in the 7th Regt of Foot 1798-1814, and was 44 when he left the service. His birthplace was Dublin, and the reference is WO97/293. There is another entry for a James White, who may be the same man, this time in the Pension Records at WO121/187. He served in the 7th Regt of Foot, 8th Royal Veterans Batallion, 12th Hussars, discharged 1816 after 17yrs 6m, aged 44, born Dublin. These records are on microfilm, so if you can't visit Kew in person, you may be able to order them through an LDS Family History Centre, or else contact Record Copying at Kew for an estimate.

I found one of my ancestors this way, and went on to look in the Muster Rolls, which gave me his exact date of birth.

Good luck with yours

Mean_genie

Mean_genie

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: James White, Soldier, 1799
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 January 08 23:08 GMT (UK) »
MeanGenie
Such help was unexpected but I'm  always surprised by the help given here.
I'll see where these lead and let you know the outcome.

Thank you
Reiver