Author Topic: Kerrys from Smalley  (Read 15640 times)

Offline Gert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kerrys from Smalley
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a mini tree compiled by the Rev Charles Kerry c1833, which contains some of my Kerry family from Smalley Derbyshire, at the top of this tree it says,

There is a tradition in the family that the first of the Kerrys of Smalley was an "Officer from Wales"

Would anyone have any idea what this refers to please?

I have seen the Smalley site.

Sylvia

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrys from Smalley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

I think..... the word "tradition" does not mean in this case,  something that was and is always done  as in a "continuing or repeated family tradition". I think it refers to a family legend that has been passed down the generations....eg:

Family Legend says that the first Kerry to settle in Smalley was Welsh, and he was an Officer (perhaps  of the Army or even of a Ship in iwhich case possibly Naval....? but I guess it depends on the time period of that initial settlement).

So way way  back in 1833, there was an old unproven family tale regarding their  origins in Smalley! 

Cheers  ;D
AMBY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind - I just found the item you refer to and am  having a good read of it, and of the Biographical article on Rev Charles......very interesting  and facinating to read...!  Even more so to read the Article and then see them on the tree.  Luck you to have this <green envy smiley> I think the tree was compiled in 1875 though? Certainley after 1864. anyway.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ar.indexes/puttcharleskerry.htm
http://freespace.virgin.net/ar.indexes/DerbyshireAD.pdf
http://freespace.virgin.net/ar.indexes/CKPedigree.jpg

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Gert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I don`t mind at all Ambly, yes that is the mini tree i found, though Charles himself was only a 2nd cousin to my lot.

Thank you for the explanation that the family may have originally come from Wales to settle in Smalley, i will bear that in mind if i manage to get further back.

I may have to invest in the book he wrote on the history of Smalley to see if there is anything in it.

Thank you

Sylvia

Offline penna

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 08 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sylvia,

I can't add anything about the possible Welsh origins of the Kerrys of Smalley but you may have seen that I have been able to add some detail to CK's original Kerry pedigree.

Being curious, may I ask which Smalley Kerry you are connected to?

Regards
Patrisia RIP 2010
http://web.archive.org/web/20100707030740/http://www.smalley-ops.co.uk/smalleyops.html

DBY: CARRINGTON; Cresswell; Beneson; Buxton; Wright; Mee; Marriott; Oldknow; Holbrook; Martin; Turton; Kerry; Woollands
OXF: TYRRELL
SOM: VEALE; Collings; Binsome; Creedy; Beames; Stoward
WIL: BESZANT; Andrews; Headford; Brabbins; Guy; Dickman
LONDON: CUMMING; Osborn
CARMARTHEN: REES; Morgan

Offline Gert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 08 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Firstly Penna, let me congratulate you on a great site, i have recently found the page about the village of Smalley and  the links at the bottom are very interesting reading.

My connection is through Thomas Rogers (1721 and Mary Kerry and their son Samuel (1760) who was my 3x gt grandfather.

Regards Sylvia

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, What a wonderful site, my interest in Smalley is through John Dobbs,1794-1876, who married Lydia Kerry, my 3xgreatgrandparents, their son Thomas b1833, married Ann Hart.I have just bought a booklet from theDFHS, called,"Footsteps through Smalley.Ido believe that my ancestors there where stonemasons. Best Wishes Clive.
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline bratkac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Im new here. I'm doing Genealogy of the Kerrys. I'm not sure if you are able to help me. I looked at your family tree. I was wondering if you have any information on the William Kerry born 1802. This is possibly part of my family. His wife name is Mary he has 8 children. He was a cotton framework knitter. Please let me know if you have any information on him thanks

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 July 08 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry for the long delay. William Kerry, b11 april 1802 son of William and Hannah(Grundy). Others in family are Lydia 1798 (myancestor) Samuel 1800, Hannah 1804, Richard 1806 Sarah 1808 Ann 1811, Anthony 1814. Hannah Grundy was the dau. of Samuel Grundy and Ann (Boden). hope that helps . Best Wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump