Author Topic: Agnes Gillan/Gullane  (Read 5867 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Agnes Gillan/Gullane
« on: Monday 28 January 08 01:04 GMT (UK) »
It's amazing how people just go missing. ::) And it certainly seems to be the case with Agnes! She is the only one of her siblings that disappear.

I have Agnes Gillan born the 26th July 1858 in Dunbar, East Lothian. Her parents are listed as John Gillan and Elspeth Horne (should actually be Home). I have her on the 1861 census in Lamer St, Dunbar,  with John and Elspeth, aged 2 years old. I have her on the next one too (1871), still in Lamer St, aged 12, now a scholar.

By 1881, she is gone and there is no sign of her. I have looked at all the marriage entries of her siblings in case she was a witness but nothing, and nor did she register the deaths of her parents. I've looked for deaths and marriages between the two dates, but all seem to lead nowhere. I've also tried just putting her first name into Ancestry along with birth-year but following all of them through, they all seem to be different Agneses. :-\

Any help with Agnes? I've looked at a lot of different certificates (with a lot of different spellings). :)

hume24

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Gillan/Gullane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on SP for Agnes GILLON aged 12 in 1872.  South Leith. 
Name and age are slightly out but Leith not a million miles from Dunbar so this might be your gal.
I've not viewed the image but that would confirm the parents.
GROS ref 692/02 0095

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion, Dave, but it's not her unfortunately. :( This one is daughter of Alexander Gillon and Ann Andrew.

Thanks once again though.
hume24

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:56 BST (UK) »

I have a James Aitchison born 1862 in Coldingham who married a girl called  Margaret Gullen or Gullane January 1882 . She was the daughter of Andrew Gullane &  Mary Smith of Lawson place Dunbar.

Unfortunately Margaret Aitchison nee Gullen died at Preston Pans in 1883.

James Aitchison joined the Royal Scots in 1883 and was invalided out in 1888. He died from heart failure in Auchterderan Fife in 1888 aged 26.
He was listed as a Coal miner/retired soldier.

Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.