Author Topic: 1871 Census look up for Uriah Cousins 1845/6 born Northamptonshire  (Read 4380 times)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census look up for Uriah Cousins 1845/6 born Northamptonshire
« on: Monday 28 January 08 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with a bit of a mystery.  On my tree I have a Uriah Cousins born 1845/6 in Brackley Kingsutton Northamptonshire.  I have found him on the 1851, 61, 81, 91 and 1901 Census returns.  However I have been unable to locate him on the 1871 Census.  I have tried all the variants of Uriah and Cousins that I have come across and can think of.  I have looked for him living in Noprthamptonshire as well as Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire as he pops up in Branbury in 1872 marrying a Hennietta Roper.  Still nothing.

Also in 1851 he has a sister listed living with the family, her name is entered as Jevemiah aged 2 years which would make her birth around 1848/49.  I cannot find her birth index or her in further census returns (although a Hannah or Anna Cousins appears on the 1861 census, but aged 14).  However I have come across a Anna Mariah born arounf that time in Brackley.  What I really need is a fresh pair of eyes to look at the 51 and 61 transcripts.

This is making for one big headache and I cannot stop picking at it.

Many thanks in advance.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census look up for Uriah Cousins 1845/6 born Northamptonshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 08 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I've drawn a blank with Uriah too. I tried looking for his wife-to-be to see if he might turn up with her in 1871, a year before their marriage, but she is a difficult lady to track down too.

I think I've cracked the case for you with Uriah's sister however.

I looked at a scan of the 1851 census and to me her name looked like Leviniah. In the 1861 census return for Kings Sutton the writing is often difficult to decipher, the name looked like Anna with an H squeezed in front of it afterwards, but I could make it read Lavinia if I tried (I wasn't too worried about her age being a couple of years different from what would be expected, people's ages vary so much on census returns). No sign of Lavinia / Leviniah in 1871. But what if she had married by then?

I tried FreeBMD for marriages of Lavinia Co*ns (to cover all spellings) in Northants and Oxon between 1861 and 1871. Bingo - Lavinia Cousins married William John Justice (registered at Bicester, March quarter 1869; volume 3a page 757).

While I still haven't found Lavinia on the 1871 census yet (I haven't tried too hard though), she is on the 1881 census living at Tadmarton with her husband (a policeman) and 7 children aged from 1 to 11. The reference for the page is RG11 / 1525 / 66 / 7. Her birthplace is shown as Kings Sutton and her age (33) gives a birth year of abt 1848.

But where is the registration of her birth? I suspect it's the "Female Cousin" registered in the September quarter of 1848 at Brackley, vol 15 page 201, as I can't find a corresponding death registration for a female Cousin / Cousins / etc at that time. Lavinia must have been registered before she was named (the certificate might show the name added after registration in the final column?).

Hope this helps with that part of your mystery.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 04:09 GMT (UK) »
1871 Census
Fritwell,Oxford

William Justice head 24 Police Constable Great Tew,Oxfordshire
Larvina Justice wife 23 born King Sutton North Oxford
Lizzie Justice daughter 1 born Fritwell Oxfordshire
Annie Justice daughter 3months born Fritwell Oxfordshire

Sorry - no luck with Uriah

Raylen
Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Raylen and Steve!  The mystery of Uriah's many named sister has been bothering me for over a year now.  However I got fixated on the names Johannah and Jevemiah.  At least now I can finally add her to my tree.

A wee bit bizarre about Uriah in 1871.  Is it quite common for people to drop off the face of the earth during one census?
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Glad I could help. I've only been doing this for a few months so I don't know how common it is for people to 'go missing' in that way, but it does seem to have happened to two families of my ancestors in the 1851 census. I reckon they were all living in Eyton (on the Wild Moors, Shropshire) at that time but there's no trace of them on the census. At least not on the census data available on Ancestry anyway. Not sure if that's because part of Eyton (a parish with rather dispersed settlements) was simply missed off the census or because Ancestry hasn't got all the data for the parish. I should probably post a look-up myself.....

Sometimes the problem is the way the names were written on the census form (incorrect spelling or barely legible) or sometimes the transcription is wrong. Ancestry seems particularly bad for transcriptions of names, I often have to find people on Findmypast and then go back to Ancestry and get the relevant census data through the piece/folio/page before I can add the people on that page to my tree there. Shame Findmypast hasn't got 1851, 1901 or the whole of 1871 online yet, their transcriptions are much more accurate in my experience.

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip about findmypast.com Steve.  I guess I shall give it a go in future :D

Offline sior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Uriah Cousins was a private in the Royal Welch Fusiliers 1n 1872 and was possibly at Boyle in Ireland in 1871[his eldest daughter Annie was born there].He married twice, having about thirteen children by the marriages.
Many of his grandchildren, including my wife ,still live in the area of his 1901 address
             Sior

Offline sior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I had another thought about Uriah. His first wife came from Blaina[Blaenau]  in the old county of Monmouthshire,so it is possible he was in South wales in 1871.The Royal Welch usualy recruited from North Wales but probably did so elsewhere. I have not found any record of him in Wales before the late 1880s,when he was keeping a shop and farm[not Green Court].It is possible he joined the army under an assumed name.I have checked with family members,but it seems their parents did not talk much about their father.
                     Sior

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sior

Thank you so much for the information on Uriah Cousins!  It's always nice to 'meet' a connection with your tree.  I would be very much interested in any further infomation you have on any member of the Cousins family.

My great grandmother was Annie Hilda Cousins born 1884 in Kensington London, the niece of Uriah through his brother Robert Cousins born c1852 in Kingsutton Northamptonshire.