Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 131937 times)

Offline innesaj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley:

Would be interested in the particulars WRT the one Innes prisoner on your list. Many thanks.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 04 March 10 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Innesaj, and welcome to rootschat.

The information that I have for Innes is as follows,

1356 William Innes Transported 31st March 1747.

The number preceeding his name is the number that he had as a prisoner.

I have also found a James Innes who was aboard the "Africa" bound for Barbados as a prisoner (the only one) on 15th July 1716. As a prisoner James would have been indentured as a servant for seven years as part of his punishment. James was one of the 637 who were captured at Preston Lancs on 14th November 1715 after General Thomas Forster surrended his force to the King's army.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Greengate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
hello sharonboon. am new to this but can inform you that John Coppock, brother to Thomas pretender bishop of carlisle, is in my family tree.  Apparently John born 1726 was a drummer boy in the manchester regiment, in which Thomas was the Rev. Chaplain.  John was pardoned, reccomended for mercy by jury in carlisle.  John married Mary Towneley. He would be my 6th grandfather.  Thomas and John had 2 younger sisters, Elizabeth and Hannah, baptised in Manchester cathedral.  Their parents were married in Manchester cathedral.

Offline Daniel MacAoidh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 26 June 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley,

I'm particularly interested in the following names on your list:

Cameron
Innes
M'Gillivray
M'Kie
MacKay
M'Kay
Taylor
Wishart

I would sincerely appreciate any help you can provide in my efforts to see if any of my Scottish ancestors were Jacobites.
Thank you!
Daniel

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 04 July 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel and welcome to Rootschat.

From the list that I have I have extracted the following.

321   Alexander Cameron.  Transported on 31st March 1747.
327   Alexander Cameron.  Died at Tilbury Fort Essex.
337   Donald      Cameron.  Transported on 31st March 1747.
341   Donald      Cameron.  Died at Tilbury Fort Essex.
350   Duncan     Cameron.  Transported on 31st March 1747.
1356 William      Innes.       Transported on 31st March 1747.
2005 Farquhar   M'Gillivray. Died at Tilbiry Fort.
2090 Robert       Mackay.     Discharged.
2087 Peter         M'Kay.       Transported.
2089 Robert       M'kay.       Transported on 20th March 1747.
2094 Thomas     M'kay.       Transported on 20th March 1747.
2096 William      M'kay.        Died at Tilbury Fort Essex.
3251 James       Taylor.        Released on 13th Februry 1747.
3255 Kenneth    Taylor.       Not known.
3439 Alexander  Wishart.    Transported on 19th March 1747.

I have also found the following prisoners who were transported to the America's as indentured servants for seven years in 1716,

Donald Cameron. No date found, Transported to the Leeward Islands (St Christopher).

Donald Cameron. Transported aboard on the ship  "Susannah" to South Carolina leaving Liverpool on 7th May 1716.

Finlow Cameron. Transported aboard on the ship "Friendship" for Maryland leaving Liverpool on 24th May 1716.

John Cameron. Transported aboard the ship "Godspeed" (may also have been called "Goodspeed"). No dates or other information found.

John Cameron. No date found. Transported to the Leeward Islands (St Christopher).

James Innes. Transported aboard the ship "Africa" to Barbadoes leaving Liverpool on 15th July 1716.

Further to the above lists I have also found two others, both Cameron's, who were transported aboard the ship "Gildart" in 1747, these being,

Dougall Cameron from Inverness captured at Carlisle. Held prisoner at Carlisle, York and Chester prior to being transported.

Malcolm Cameron from the Fort William area. Jacobite serving in Lochiels Regiment when taken. Held prisoner at Prestonpans, Edinburgh, Cannongate and Carlisle prior to being transported.

hope that the above maybe of help to you.

OR

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline DWWaddell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 11 July 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Also try the NEW List of Rebels database which is now completed from the Scottish History Society publication A List of persons concerned in the Rebellion transmitted to the Commissioners of Excise by the several supervisors in Scotland in obedience to a general letter of the 7th May 1746; and a supplementary list with evidences to prove the same.
http://books.google.com/books?id=MzKXJ4z5ntQC
With a preface by the Earl of Rosebery and annotations by Walter MacLeod (1890). This database is in the process of being augmented with data from Arnot and Seton's SHS publication Prisoners of the '45 published in 1928.

http://www.yourphotocard.com/Ascanius/Prisoners/Default.aspx
Dave Waddell

Offline WritingWildly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tilbury Fort
« Reply #87 on: Monday 26 July 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
I'm writing a novel based in 1746 Scotland, and my Jacobite prisoners are currently spending time in Tilbury Fort. I am wondering if you might be able to answer a question or two... or more ...

1) I read that it was suggested the men be stripped of their plaids and washed, and also to have their hair cut because of the filth and lice. Do you know if that actually happened? Would they have been supplied breeks & tunics to replace that, since tartan was outlawed?

2) Did they keep the prisoners doing anything during their stay, or were they forced to stay in that dark ammunitions room all the time?

3) The 17 who were lotted to go to trial - how many were executed, and where did this take place? At the fort? Would the others have been forced to watch? Were they hung?

4) I have noticed that some of the men escaped - was it ever said how they got out?

Thanks SO SO SO much!
- Genevieve Graham
(Nova Scotia)

Offline WritingWildly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 26 July 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Also ... Tilbury Fort was surrounded by water - the Thames and a moat. How would they have escaped?

Offline sting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 30 August 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
Rolly, I posted this under the heading 'armed forces' before I saw your heading. I hope you don't mind me repeating it here.

I'm hoping to find Robert Campbell, born 1729 -30. He was at the battle of Quebec. He became a blacksmith and died at Brampton, Cumberland. The following passages are what I've collected to do with Brampton. My question is how can I find out who my Robert Campbell is? Might he be a son or cousin or such of David Campbell possibly a Keithock Campbell?

From the Carlisle Patriot 10 May 1878 of a lecture in Brampton by the Vicar about Bonnie Prince Charlie (1745).
"Another interesting link with that period was old Robert Campbell, the locksmith, still living in Brampton whose father, to use Robert's own words, ""came here with Charlie, and after various other adventures, such as serving under General Wolfe, at Quebec, returned to settle at Brampton, where he died in 1838, aged 109Yrs." (He is on the church records as being a 109yrs old).

The Militar Road in Cumberland, by T. H. Hodgson, these Transactions, n.s. ii, p. 274).
At the funeral of the Carlisle victims, it is reported in a letter written by Lieut. Colonel Howard, Governor of Carlisle Castle, that
Mr. Douglas,
Mr. Graham, the apothecary,
Mr. Lowry and
Mr. Campbell of Brampton assisted publicly , the latter as mourner, the other three as pall-bearers (Lord Albemarle's Fifty Years of my Life).

Whether Campbell of Brampton acted the part of mourner over the Capon Tree victims is not known. It is probable that Mr. Campbell himself had come to Brampton with the Prince, for we still have an old lady living here whose grandfather, Robert Campbell, came to Brampton in the "45 " and settled in the place. Why the Capon Tree was chosen or why the prisoners were brought to Brampton for execution cannot now accurately be discovered.

Selections from the family papers of the Mackays of Bighouse
John Campbell of Barcaldine married Margaret (a daughter of Keithock).

Letter Lord Glenorchy to John C of Barcaldine 9th Oct 1745
"I'm glad the person in whom you say you are nearly concerned resolves to be quiet"

Letter from Lord Glenorchy to John Campbell of Barcaldine 14th Oct 1746
"I've had a letter from Keithock, dated Brampton, complaining of the expense of his long confinement, from which he was discharged, there being nothing against him. I believe a letter which I mentioned to you in one of me letters, helped to hasten it.

Letter from Lord Glenorchy to John Campbell of Barcaldine 3 March 1747
I ask'd Colonel Howard (whom you saw with Gen. Bland at Taymouth) who is just come from Carlisle, the truth of what I wrote to you about Kiethock's Imprudence. He told me that he is not acquainted with him, but that he knows he attended every execution in deep mourning, and show'd many marks of his concern and his disapprobaton of their punishment, and that Brigidier (or Major Genl) J P Lemming, who commanded at that time at Carlisle, being informed of his appearing in solemn mourning at the first execution, sent him a private advice (purely out of good nature, being noways acquainted with him) not to do so again, and be more cautious in his expressions, but he still persisted, and behav'd in general very improperly. This is what Col. Howard told me and several particulars too tedious and not fit for a letter. I am really sorry for his folly.

Cumberland Quarter Sessions FILE - 1746 Easter petitions - ref.  Q/11/1/234  - date: 1746
Petition of John Nicholson, High Constable of Eskdale Ward - payment of expenses for arrest and custody of David Campbell Esq. of Brampton, for treason. Nil.
Lyn from New Zealand