Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 131714 times)

Offline sceath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Old Riley,

Many thanks for the Grant names.

Hoping now to find if any of them were amongst the 16men of Glenurquhart and 68 men of Glenmoriston who surrended to Cumberland and were shipped to London and then on to Barbados.

Cheer's for now.

PGM..

Offline scotlandsgenealogy.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley

I would be grateful for the information for the single entry for the surname 'Stephen' in the list of Jacobite prisoners.Many thanks

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
PGM,  there was a Peter Grant who had fought at Culloden, introduced to George IV on his visit to Edinburgh as "your Majesty's auldest enemy",  from the north east though.    Skoosh.   

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi SG.C and welcome to Rootschat.

Unfortunately he entry for Stephen is none too helpful as all it states is,
(prisoner) "3129. James Stephen .....Transported."

no dates or any other information given. Sorry that it is not much help.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline scotlandsgenealogy.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for prompt reply.That helps as I am looking for an Alexander Stephen,Jacobite rebel transported or escaped from Leith,Edinburgh to America.

Thanks

Offline Lord Largo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 26 August 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for some info on a Captain Andrew Wood a family ancestor I think he was hung at traitors gate in the tower around 1747 or so our family legends say...as far as i know he was from around glasgow area......We have his birth on the family tree but thats all . Does anyone know of him...thank you   Alexander James Wood and Robert Andrew Wood

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 27 August 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat LL, I haven't got an Andrew Wood on my list but have found the following on the net, a common name but it may be him.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/hdq.html

scroll to about half way down the page until the paragraph that starts with "The 1745 jacobite rebellion......" as there is an Andrew Wood mentioned.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline cookiemontage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
To Old Rowley, I have been searching for my ggggranfather and his brothers origins forever!! Their names are John and James McKenzie and i saw there were 34 McKenzies on your list. They were Scottish Jacobites and ended up in Ireland in the Wicklow Mountains. They came to Australia in 1807(convicts) but all records of them previously were lost. Are there any records available? All i know is they were tried in Sligo. Hope you can help. Susan from Australia. ???

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Do not know if this will help but there is only one James Mckenzie (it is noted down as M'kenzie) on the list that I have and the entry for him is,

(prisoner number) 2151 James M'kenzie, transported (no place given) on 31st March 1747.

For the John Mckenzie entries there are seven given on my list, one of whom died at Tilbury Fort Essex. Like the above entry the prisoner number is given first followed by name then what happened to them with the date of the event last.

Prisoner's by the name of John M'Kenzie
2157/2158/2159/2160/2161 and 2162 all transported on 31st March 1747 (no place given for transportation).

2171 John M'Kenzie, died at Tilbury Fort. No date given.

Not much  but it may help as a reference point in the future for you.

OR.