Author Topic: Henry Brazil, Louisa Giles  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Train man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Brazil, Louisa Giles
« on: Friday 01 February 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
http://

???

Can anyone help?? I have for some years been trying to trace my paternal grandparents:
Henry Brazil b c1897 and louisa Brazil (nee Giles) b c 1887, I have their death certificates but cannot find any marriage or birth certificates, my father says Louisa was born within the sound of Bow Bells
They were living at Henwood Green, Pembury, Kent in 1924 when Pheobe was born and two years later living in a caravan at Ash Vale when my father was born, another aunt, Lena was supposedly born 3 days later at Dunton Green, Kent
Henry died at Plaxtol, Kent in 1958 and Louisa died Redhill Hospital, Smallfield section in 1952, her address was given as 1 Woolborough Road, Crawley. according to my father they lived in temporary accommadation in Crawley(my grandparents that is), in 1954 my parents were living at Stone Barn Cottages, Tilgate, Crawley. If any of this rings any bells please let me know any help gratefully appreciated.
Regards
Robert
Brazil, Brazill, Payne, King (Balcombe area) Brooks (Speldhurst area) Cogger, Mills

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Brazil, Louisa Giles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,    Not sure how much I can help but I am told by my daughter-in-law whose mother used to be a Brazil that Henry Brazil (don't know if it is the correct date) is buried in the churchyard of St. John's Church, Crawley but you may already know this.     I am sending a copy of your posted message to my daughter in law and she will talk to her family about it.     I do know that there are Brazils in Cuckfield somewhere near Ardingly Road.

I have a feeling that 1 Woolborough Road is now a doctors surgery - moved to my present location about 18 months ago after 33 years in Crawley.    Interested to hear about Stone Barn Cottages, Tilgate because I lived in Tilgate from 1976 and have never heard of them.

I shall be in Crawley on Saturday and will check the date in St. John's graveyard.    I am on my way to India via Gatwick so will not be able to get in touch immediately.

Good luck with the search.
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Train man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 08 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
many thanks for the info, I have been in touch with the surgery, although it would appear to be a dental practice now and have also checked the planning applications at Crawley Borough Council and a 'new' building was erected in the late 50's.
Have tried several times to contact CBC but they have never responded to email or returned calls.
I believe that my grandfather was buried at West peckham church, just outside Mereworth between Tonbridge and Maidstone..My grandmother is buried, so dad say's in the graveyard where the bus station now stands, have not followed that up as yet.
Enjoy your trip, and hopefully your daughter may know someone who holds the key
Regards
Robert
Brazil, Brazill, Payne, King (Balcombe area) Brooks (Speldhurst area) Cogger, Mills

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 08 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this birth reg? Not sure if this is the right area  :-\

Henry Brazil March 1896 Hailsham Vol 2b Page 99

(theres also a John Henry Brazill reg. in Hastings Dec 1897)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Train man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 08 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Brazill born Hailsham 1896sadly died in Brighton at a very young age, as for John Henry Brazill had not seen that one.
Did use a team of researchers over the course of three months but they came back without any results but I'll certainly look up the information you have kindly provided.
The only ohter thing I know is that on my father, Aunts birth cert he (Harry) is shown as Hawker / Licenced Hawker, I wonder if there is a register of 'licenced Hawkers or if it was something that was said to make it seem 'legal'
Regards

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 March 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
many thanks for the info, I have been in touch with the surgery, although it would appear to be a dental practice now and have also checked the planning applications at Crawley Borough Council and a 'new' building was erected in the late 50's.
Have tried several times to contact CBC but they have never responded to email or returned calls.
I believe that my grandfather was buried at West peckham church, just outside Mereworth between Tonbridge and Maidstone..My grandmother is buried, so dad say's in the graveyard where the bus station now stands, have not followed that up as yet.
Enjoy your trip, and hopefully your daughter may know someone who holds the key
Regards
Robert

Hi Robert, I am afraid I did not succeed on my way through Crawley to look in St. John's Graveyard - my daughter in law will do this and let me know.      She is also asking her extended family and I will let you know what she finds out.

Last year I took my daughter in law to a Romany Museum in Spalding, Lincs and very interesting it was.    The chap who runs it, Gordon Boswell, asked her about her family and seemed to know the name "Brazil".    I wonder if it would be worth contacting him in the course of your search.   The phone number is 01775 710599.   The address is:  Gordon Boswell, Romany Museum, Clay Lake, Spalding, Lincs PE12 6BL.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Do you know (perhaps from your father) whether either of your grandparents had any siblings?  Also, can your father give any other names of persons who may have been related, however distantly, perhaps some even turned up to their funerals :-\

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 08 13:05 BST (UK) »
Theres a few Louisa Giles on the Census:

Louisa d/o Edward a General Labourer, was born Battersea 1886 and lived in Battersea in both 1891 and 1901.

Louisa A d/o Henry S Giles a Farrier (Smith), born Poplar, London 1886  can be found in West Ham in 1891.

Louisa Giles d/o John T Giles a shoemaker, born Peckham 1890 in Paignton, Devon 1901.

But this one seems most likely:
1891 Bromley by BOW Common
Hannah Giles widow b.1842 Stratford Ex a juvenile Suit Finisher
Alice C Weases b.1871 dtr Bromley London Machinist
Kate B Elizade b.1877 Poplar London
Charlotte Elizade dtr 1873 Bromley suit finisher
Ellen Ann Elizade dtr 1875 Bromley suit finisher
Kate B Elizade b.1877 Poplar London suit finisher
Joseph Giles b.1881 Poplar London scholar
Louisa A Giles b.1884 Bromley scholar

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran