Author Topic: Orphan Willie Woods – Help Please.  (Read 54892 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan Willie Woods – Help Please.
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Going with that border crossing, there is a marriage for

Charles Albert H Wood and Clara Elizabeth Betts in Cardiff in 1900

K

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I may be wrong, but I really do think the boys were born in Wales. Apparently Old Willie was sure of that.

I wouldn't think they were Catholic either, as I'm thinking the same as Karen about the Loyal True Blue home.

Lots good of things to think about. Did Charlie go to war or cross the border?

Willys Son certainly has a lot to read when he get back on here  ;D ;D ;D

I'm going to his place tomorrow to give him some pointers and coach a bit  :o .... that should get him confused  ;D

Good stuff guys  ;)

Genie

"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Nancy..still no James found..and the orphanage posting for the 1911 census is back here I'll link to the reply....and it was a protestant run facility...all were listed as Anglican...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,283110.msg1669958.html#msg1669958
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Nancy,
I only have the 1911 census for Willie, no James yet.

P.S.
Here's the link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/02o3/
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 04:11 GMT (UK) »
and oh...why not one more....as this one ( b. march 22 1874....) was living in Rainy River at time of signup and is from Clarence Ont.
gives sister Annie Heatherington / Ottawa as NOK. Signed up in Pinewood, Ont. The child Willie was noted as being born Wales...but we need to be open minded about all other possibilities for places of birth for the parents etc... so just in case something fits....
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc018/687720a.gif

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 04:21 GMT (UK) »
well, may have proven myself wrong, in 1881 there's only one listed in Clarence & he's Irish as well, and actually born 1871...No Annie in household though... :P
 J.J.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I think we really won't crack this unless you go back to the home and ask about James' records as well.

http://my.tbaytel.net/tbayogs/index.html - you could try the Thunder Bay genealogical society.  They say "Newspaper and burial indexes will be searched for free."
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted them already jorose.  They are to look for any evidence of Charles Wood and family living in the area.  They are also looking for deaths and  checking cemetery records for a ____ Wood/Woods as we don't have her first or maiden name.
They are also checking to see if Charles Wood was an informate in any deaths, as well as any Newpaper articles or obituaries.  It has been two days now but over a weekend for us so I am still hoping she will reply.

If not I will get back to her again.

dollylee

** I have contacted the Thunder Bay genealogicay society, but NOT the home as somewhere in this thread it was closed.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Also, for what it's worth (and it may be nothing)  I found a Charles Wood in the 1881 British Census who could be of the right age.  It was the same Charles Wood as in the marriage of the 29 year old widower I had listed above. In 1911 he is working as a Millwright at a Hydro Electric Company in Woodstock.   Nipigon also has a large Hydro Electric System so there may be some connection.

This Charles Wood was born in England and had an older brother Fred/Frederick who may possibly be the same one who can be found on the 1911 Canada Census as being found in the Thunder Bay/Rainy River District living in Port Arthur which became part of the City of Thunder Bay.  I am unable to read his occupation on the Census. Nor really read the time of immigration altho I think it sas 1897.

None of this of course helps us find out the mother's name unless the Thunder Bay Society finds some information.

All it may support is that Fred is in fact the brother of the Charles remarried in Woodstock
as a widower age 29 in 1908 .  It does nothing to point this to the Charles we are looking for other than the possible Hydro Electric connection which might have placed him the Nipigon in 1907.

If only Charles had listed the mother's name rather than just saying she was deceased on the orphanage papers....and there is also the possibility that not all the information given was correct.

dollylee