Author Topic: Tipperary: complete: for Whelan B&M  (Read 1466 times)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tipperary: complete: for Whelan B&M
« on: Wednesday 06 February 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for Bridget Whelan b. (about) 1831 Tipperary, is in Australia (Melbourne, Victoria) married to George Hibberd (44) on 17/1/1856 aged (25).

Marriage certificate shows parents are:

Patrick Whelan (Tailor) mother Margaret Gindon?Glinden?(not very clear)

Trying to find out the background and whether there are more children, did they travel to Aus as a family?

GH is believed to be a convict shipped out to Van Diemans Land in 1843, ticket of leave 1847 and in Victoria from 1850 onwards. He was from Sheffield,Enland - so as far as I am aware they hadn't met until Aus.  (Unless Mr W is a convict too?)

Another family researcher says it was an "arranged marriage from Ireland" I have my doubts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tipperary: Look Ups: for Whelan B&M
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate  for Bridget Whelan b.c1831.
You could try looking on LDS site (www.familysearch.org) to see if any of the family are listed in extracted or submitted records (do search for father Patrick Whelan and mother Margaret- no maiden name to see if any children are listed).
To find church records in Ireland (if they still exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!