Author Topic: Sproat/ Glendininng  (Read 4343 times)

Offline jsproat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sproat/ Glendininng
« on: Thursday 07 February 08 01:41 GMT (UK) »
NEW GUY-- I'm looking for information on the marriage of David Sproat and Elisabeth/Elizabeth Glendinning. Their eldest son was born in 1821 possibly in the Borgue area. I'm trying to verify that my gggrandfather, Thomas born 1829, was their son. He may have also been born in the Borgue area. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sproat/ Glendininng
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 11:16 GMT (UK) »
To avoid duplication, see other post on Wigtownshire board: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284175.new.html#new

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Sproat around the city of  KKD (Kirkcudbright) for about 5 years.  I can not get beyond Hugh Sproat, borm 20 Mar 1814 in Borgue, KKDshire, married 1840 in Stourbridge Wocestershire, died June 1889,  in  Birkenhead, Chesire, Merseyside .  He was the father of James Henry S Sproat.  James was my great grandfather.  He had my grandmother Jessie Sproat.  I have further details but do not want to be too long winded.  I have every so often run into information on the website in Ancestry World Tree Project called the Gordon/ Bertram Tree, last updated in 2007.  What is intriguing is there were aparently two brothers  John S. Sproat born 1710 around KKD, died 20 Oct 1800 in Pennsborough Cumberland Pennsylvania USA.  He had a brother{a guess]) also born around 1710 who was William Sproat.  These brother may have had William Sproat, born 11 Apr 1742, or Hugh Sproat, as described above.  Anyway, John S. Sproat immigrates to the Americas thru Canada.  I have loads more including Duncan Sproat who wrote Sproatachronicon .  Out in Western British Columbia threre is a Sproat Lake, also a Sproat is one of the immortals of Ohio and coined the term Buckeye State.  Anyway, I hope anyone can help with Sproat genealogy or general stories.  One story has it that  Sproats had land and also worked for th Douglas's, maybe at Threaves Castle.

Stephen Wood, Roseburg Oregon USA
Sproat, Cowan, Lamb, Sather, Bell, Clemow, Wood, Bowen, Ainley, Lamb

Offline tmcs10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 22 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello. New to RootsChat. I am researching three lines currently, in the hopes of finding what I believe is a common ancestor. My line extends back to WIlliam Sproat (1520-) of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. I have another line which alternates between Sproat and Sprat, using them interchangeably for the same individual. I'm getting close to tying that line into my William Sproat line, somewhere in the late 1700s-early 1800s. The third line is that of Robert Sproat (-1712). I have that line going forward, so I am certain it does not tie to later generations but is likely another line through a sibling of William Sproat (1520-)'s -or, more likely, a generation or two back but still closely tied since there are common name trends and places shared by all three lines.

Any help is appreciated- and I am glad to assist others having spent many years digging!

Side note-as for "Buckeye" Sproat. I am working on verifying whether he ties into the Robert Sproat line which has several Ebenezer Sproats including A Lieutenant and a Captain. Ebenezer "Buckeye" Sproat (February 9, 1752 – January 7, 1805) served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution and was nicknamed "Big Buckeye" by the local Indians presumably due to his height of 6'4".

Happy Hunting!