Author Topic: Restore and Date for this little girl please  (Read 1862 times)

Offline slowbookworm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Restore and Date for this little girl please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 February 08 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank Irene, thats great, lovely to see her without all the blobs.
I keep thinking about getting the software so I can have a go at some restoring but I spend way too much time on the computer as it is!

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slow,
That's a good one, Niksmum.
I can't do much, but I can get rid of blobs...sometimes.
Just another one for your collection, and perhaps a new post will stir up some more interest from other people.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline slowbookworm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paula
Lovely deblobing :)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Can not say much about the actual dating as, as China has already pointed out, attempting to date photographs of young children can be very hard, if not sometimes impossible, indeed. But in this case there maybe a glimer of a clue to go on. Strangely enough I can say more about the photographer than I can about the date.

Jules-Ernest Livernois was born on 19th August 1851 in Saint Zephiren de Courval Canada, and died on 8th June 1933 in Quebec City. He was the son of Jules-Isaie Livernois (b1830 Lower Canada- d 1865 Quebec) who started the family firm of photographers in Quebec at 32 St John Street between 1857-1858 (although there is a report of him starting in 1854), there is an entry in a Quebec directory for the period which states " Mr & Mrs Liverois, Photographer, 32 St John Street".  After the death of Jules-Isaie, his widow carries on the busines and a firm entitled, Liverois & Bienveno appears between the years of 1866 to 1873 (although I am unsure of the owners full names and if this is a follow on from the firm started by Jules-Isaie) however later Jules-Isaie's widow goes into partnership with one of her son in law's, Louis Welcome, but the partnership is disolved sometime between 1873 and 1874. It is at this point that her son, Jules- Ernest, takes over from his mother and starts running the family firm of Photographers. In 1890 Jules-Ernest, now going by the trade name of J.E. Liverois, Druggist and Photograher,  takes on the Provincial Pharmaceutical Association (Canada) on who should have control on the sale of drugs and chemicals to the public. During his career as a photographer Jules-Ernest became one of the most important photographers of his time recording the growth of Quebec and its surroundings as well as its citizen's. Between 1875 and the 1890's many of Quebec's wealthier elite had their image caught by Liverois. A prolific photographer one collection alone has some 1,500 glass plates that Jules-Ernest took in its archives.

Now for the glimer of a clue. Going by the childs footwear I would suggest that this was taken about 1892/93 as the style of boot with the "wrap over flap" (my wording as I can not find my reference to what it should be called at the moment) was evident at this time in women's footwear and children's footwear usually followed on from the adults styles.(see you just knew I would get there in the end)
hope that the above is of some help.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
How very cool, OR...well done.

Notice the "Livernois & Bienvenu" photography company and the son-in-law Louis Welcome...same person likely...bienvenu means welcome in French and probably the name was changed for marketing opportunities.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline slowbookworm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Old Rowley for the information on the photographer and as for the date of the photo I am very impressed, you must have missed the bit earlier in this thread where I realized I had the photo in the wrong family and I had realized that the little girl was my great grandmother who was born in Sept 1887. I know that the family were back in the UK for the birth of her brother in May 1892 so the photo was probably taken in 1900/01 so you were very close :)

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi SBW
This is the best I can do with the snow scene
Mudge